I cannot stop from gloating

Story: What if Microsoft Ignored Linux?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
cubrewer

Feb 16, 2007
9:17 AM EDT
This article is written distastefully because Enderle is a cretin... but it actually is very good news for Linux.

Under the crud, what he's saying is that Microsoft is ignoring customers and Linux is winning as a result.

The really interesting thing about this is that it's because of what Linux is, rather than any specific actions. By and large, no one is out there doing focus groups to find out what feature customers want in Linux... it's more a combination of having some of the finest minds (so Linux is naturally on the cutting-edge) and that customers are users and they add features that they want.

(Well, I guess you could make the case that companies like SuSE and Red Hat are listening to enterprise customers and adding features.)

When even thick-headed partisans like Enderle see that not only is Linux great, but it's kicking butt... I'm one Linux fan who cannot stop from gloating.
tuxchick

Feb 16, 2007
9:31 AM EDT
I suppose you're right- that is a good way to look at it. Still, reading Enderle is too much like poking through the litter box - there might be a tasty nugget or two in there somewhere, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. :)
jdixon

Feb 16, 2007
9:37 AM EDT
As usual, Enderle's understanding of Linux is pathetic.

> ...progress is hardly a priority and often seems more like something to be avoided. The question of when the next major Linux release will occur is perennial. And in an environment where the next major license can’t even be decided on, the concept of a major OS release is virtually impossible to accomplish.

While the release criticism may validly be aimed at Debian and Slackware, most of the other major distributions have fairly stable release schedules. And Linux is progressing at a rate undreamed of by most commercial OS folks, especially Microsoft.

However, most of the article is actually about Microsoft, and when it comes to understanding corporate cultures, Enderle actually does have some clues, and I largely agree with his assessment.
DarrenR114

Feb 16, 2007
9:53 AM EDT
OMG ... jdixon, I appreciate your sacrifice of slogging through this article ... taking your post above to heart, I choked back my vomit from the first couple of paragraphs and continued to read the rest of the article myself.

Summing it up in someone else's words, the phrase that came to my mind was "Be like Mike". What Enderle seems to be saying in this article is that Microsoft should become like the Linux community and focus on the customer instead of the competition.

Did someone take a swipe at Enderle with a cluestick or something?

jdixon

Feb 16, 2007
10:00 AM EDT
> Did someone take a swipe at Enderle with a cluestick or something?

Enderle's worked at and with major corporations before. He understands them fairly well. It's community based things like Linux that he can't grok.
Aladdin_Sane

Feb 16, 2007
10:55 AM EDT
> While the release criticism may validly be aimed at Debian and Slackware

Enderle Group's criticism of release strategies confuses Linux The Kernel and Linux The Distributions.

This distortion makes any subsequent observation irrelevant and misleading.

>> ...progress is hardly a priority

Enderle Group's definition of "progress" or "advancement" is clearly different from mine. Even trying to criticize it is pointless because of the divergence in basic definitions/meaning of terms.

** Note about this post: I'm trying to fully support a personal policy of failing to "take stabs" at people: Rather, I allow myself to criticize organizations, concepts, products, etc.**
theboomboomcars

Feb 16, 2007
11:27 AM EDT
Quoting:> ...progress is hardly a priority and often seems more like something to be avoided. The question of when the next major Linux release will occur is perennial. And in an environment where the next major license can’t even be decided on, the concept of a major OS release is virtually impossible to accomplish.

The last release of desktop Windows was in 2001, and server 2003. During that time how many Kernel releases were there? Distribution releases? Desktop releases?

It seems to me that M$ is the one that doesn't know how to progress.
cr

Feb 16, 2007
1:14 PM EDT
> The last release of desktop Windows was in 2001, and server 2003. During that time how many Kernel releases were there? Distribution releases? Desktop releases?

Yeah, but if they didn't come straight down his digestive tract, Enderle didn't see them.
number6x

Feb 16, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
Even with debian progress is constant. Major releases are not all that important. The latest code is always available and not held back.

A debian 'release' is really just an agreement that a code base that has been available for months in testing gets promoted to replace a higher up more stable code base (stable in the sense that the package set is stable more than the code is stable).

The code advances are available to the community as soon as they are created. The package set promotion is slow.

Enderle twists this to seem like advances are held back in some way. That is completely untrue.
beirwin

Feb 16, 2007
4:11 PM EDT
tuxchick,

I'm glad I read your comment *before* dinner rather than after! :-) Litter boxes *never* have tasty bits. That's how I feel about Mr. Enderle's articles (I guess I've read too many of his articles in the past). However, I may start reading his stuff again if the giant foam clue bat is used several times and the bat is large enough!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!