Register?

Story: IBM will send you a DVD boatload of Linux applicationsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
SFN

Feb 27, 2007
6:37 AM EDT
IBM wants me to register so that I can read their ad. Anybody know what's being offered?
DarrenR114

Feb 27, 2007
7:19 AM EDT
Those bullet points look like a pretty comprehensive listing of IBM software that will run on Linux - looks like a good deal if you want to make yourself marketable with any of the products offered, such as Informix.

Aladdin_Sane

Feb 27, 2007
8:19 AM EDT
Bait, click, and switch

Having followed the link, I see it states "Software Evaluation Kit for Linux."

Marketing for "crippleware."

Unless the page defines "Evaluation Kit" as something other than crippleware, they cannot have my personal info.

I'm not seeing it on the page. If it is in the fine print somewhere, tough. It's marketing, and they missed me.

They should know better. One does not give out one's personal info without compelling reason to do so. (And an encrypted connection, of course.)

Noteworthy exception: Spammers victims, the intensely naive, don't mind giving out their personal info willy-nilly.

It would be OK with me, since by reputation, the company might be trusted to not sell my info to spammers. However, I also vote, by not registering, that large "reputable" companies have a "lead by example" duty to not leave these questions unanswered in my mind before soliciting personal info.
jdixon

Feb 27, 2007
8:33 AM EDT
> One does not give out one's personal info without compelling reason to do so.

You mean you're not an 81 year grandmother in Angola?
tracyanne

Feb 27, 2007
1:06 PM EDT
They are offering a DVD of demo versions of their software, they have been doing this since at least 2000, that I know of. I register with a one time email address, so they can't spam me.
DarrenR114

Feb 28, 2007
12:40 PM EDT
Boy, Some people should just know when to change their name for professional purposes.

I just got a confirmation email from IBM that my DVD has been shipped. The mail was sent by an individual by the last name of "Cheatham" (my guess would be that's pronounced "Ch ee t em".)

I'll let everyone know more specifically what's on the disk when it arrives in 7 to 10 days.
tracyanne

Feb 28, 2007
12:43 PM EDT
7 to 10 days, obviously you are in the US. If may be 3 to 4 weeks for me in Australia.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 28, 2007
5:10 PM EDT
I am already registered so I signed up to get one.

When it shows up I will tell you all what it is like.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!