EnterpriseDB *isn't* an Open Source Company.

Story: Enterprisedb is/n't Open SourceTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
DarrenR114

Mar 02, 2007
7:44 AM EDT
It's like Dino posted on another thread: There's no such thing as an "Open Source" company.

That is not to say that this is bad or good. There are companies that build their entire business around FOSS, like Redhat and EnterpriseDB, and I think that is a good thing. There are companies like Cisco, who build their products on FOSS, and then try to hide that, and I think that is not a good thing. And then there are companies who don't use FOSS in their product lines at all, like Intuit, and that's fine too - I just don't buy from them.
tuxtom

Mar 02, 2007
10:25 AM EDT
That's a sad thing with Intuit. There is really nothing out there for Linux. If they have it ported for OS X, Linux can't be that much of a stretch for a company of that size. I know they use a lot of Linux and Solaris in their data centers (I see their job postings here in San Diego all the time). I just compiled the latest version of Gnucash, and though it's come a long way over the years it is still a sophomoric effort compared to Quickbooks. SQL Ledger also looks promising, but it isn't ready for prime time either...and who wants to run seperate web server and database just to make a few entries in their accounts?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!