What?

Story: Windows Vista ProblemsTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
mjjohansen

Mar 11, 2007
11:47 PM EDT
Quote: "NAPA only uses SUN BSD Linux for their servers. NAPA has never used anything else. AT&T invented the LINUX BASH because it runs all their equipment out in the filed that routs calls and such.! [...] Novel invented SUSE because they needed something stable to install on their servers and equipment"

Say what?
jimf

Mar 11, 2007
11:58 PM EDT
> Novel invented SUSE

Does Linus know about this?
mjjohansen

Mar 12, 2007
6:23 AM EDT
Or the people who started the SuSE project? And DOES bash actually route calls? And DID Sun Microsystems merge BSD and Linux into Sun BSD Linux? The strangest article.
DarrenR114

Mar 12, 2007
7:05 AM EDT
I'm not sure if the suspect parts you guys pointed out are part of the article or part of the comments sent to the author in response to the article.
jimf

Mar 12, 2007
7:34 AM EDT
It appears to be the authors response to one of the comments. Really hard to tell, since that's one of the worst formatted things I've seen 'ever'. In any case, it's a pretty strange view of the world.
hkwint

Mar 12, 2007
11:02 AM EDT
Indeed, not Vista problems, just HTML / formatting and UNIX/Linux history problems, it seems.
dcparris

Mar 12, 2007
12:55 PM EDT
Hmmm... Do people still learn about paragraphs in high school?
jezuch

Mar 12, 2007
3:50 PM EDT
Some people still think they should press Enter when the caret reaches the right edge of textarea...
jimf

Mar 12, 2007
4:24 PM EDT
> Some people still think they should press Enter when the caret reaches the right edge of textarea...

Some people apparently feel that an article shouldn't be touched or reviewed in a browser once you paste it from edlin.
usacomputertec

Mar 13, 2007
11:32 AM EDT
Sorry guys. I just posted my first article on this page. Yes there is a special version of linux called SUN BSD Linux for the NAPA TAMS System. I'm not saying bash runs anything I am just saying it's a part of linux AT&T created. Ok so maybe someone else created SUSE? but it's owned by Novell now. Right? Thats what I thought. Yes Linus invented Linux. As far as the formating goes I just pasted it from my web site. It seemed that in text mode it did not care about returns. I could not get it to recognize my returns.

Still isn't it a funny story about the HP? lol
theboomboomcars

Mar 13, 2007
12:00 PM EDT
Quoting:Yes there is a special version of linux called SUN BSD Linux for the NAPA TAMS System.

Could you provide a source for this, it sounds interesting.
jimf

Mar 13, 2007
12:08 PM EDT
> Yes there is a special version of linux called SUN BSD Linux

Actually that's SUN, BSD, Linux... all of which run the NAPA TAMS System

> it's a part of linux AT&T created.

I believe AT&T created bash on 'Unix', and, it was later ported to Linux, though, certainly not by AT&T.

> maybe someone else created SUSE? but it's owned by Novell

Suse was purchased by Novell. Open SuSe is the community distro. The code is still open source, so, Novell dosn't own it, but only the rights to the name, and, support under that name.

> Linus invented Linux

Actually, Linus only wrote the Linux kernel and has the copyright on the name. Linux is a community effort.

> As far as the formating goes

Granted, we were a bit hard on you. Next time paste it into a text file and view it as html first. It really was a nightmare to read.

Bob_Robertson

Mar 13, 2007
12:14 PM EDT
I can understand differing page widths. What really got me was the lack of paragraph breaks, especially between different writers.

usacomputertec

Oct 17, 2007
7:06 PM EDT
"Could you provide a source for this, it sounds interesting."

No because only TAMS has a copy of this distribution. TAMS won't let anyone touch their precious baby.
nalf38

Oct 17, 2007
11:41 PM EDT
Oy. This, folks, is what we're up against. For one, distros that don't play DVDs out of the box. That whole DVD/mp3/realaudio/wma/Quicktime codec thing is a complicated story for the average know-nothing, in and of itself. Not a problem, btw, if you use Sabayon Linux. You just have to deal with portage, which is not for the faint of heart.

Second, the lineage of Linux to the average Windows user is murky, to say the least. Sun BSD Linux? WTF? It sounds like someone from 200 years in the future trying to figure out the difference.

In many ways, usa's misunderstanding of the whole situation is a testament to the success of Linux. Can you really tell the difference? I can't. Boo-hoo, can't play Quicktime.
dinotrac

Oct 18, 2007
4:21 AM EDT
>I believe AT&T created bash on 'Unix', and, it was later ported to Linux, though, certainly not by AT&T.

Come on, people! This is not hard. AT&T did NOT create bash. Not, no way, no how. Bash is a GNU project.

The Bourne shell was developed at Bell labs. It was followed by an improved version called the korn shell. Bash is more or less a bourne/korn workalike, but not exactly.
NoDough

Oct 18, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
Quoting:he Bourne shell was developed at Bell labs. It was followed by an improved version called the korn shell. Bash is more or less a bourne/korn workalike, but not exactly.
BTW, BASH stands for the "Bourne Again SHell"

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!