Horrible Lead to article and more silliness

Story: Reasons Why Google Will Fail With Enterprise AppsTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
devnet

Mar 13, 2007
7:31 AM EDT
Quoting:"I recently discovered that Google is taking a leap into the enterprise world with their web based applications."

Wow! You made the discovery all by yourself? That's amazing!

Quoting:Here’s the reality - I cannot even view my Google calendar on my Cingular 8125 running Windows Mobile. Wait, perhaps this is a matter of me trying to view the calendar in Internet Explorer? Nope, Opera mobile offers the same lack of viewability as well.
Could that be because it runs Windows Mobile? I can't import SQUAT into outlook at work either...ical throws Outlook for a loop every single time. Most likely cause? Outlook doesn't follow ical standards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar#Microsoft_Outlook

However, if I take Microsoft and Outlook out of the equation, I can sync all of my calendars with my google calendar...because I can export it as an XML feed and not worry about anything...or I can have cron download the ical and then import it into any of my calendars locally.

Funny how that works eh? For this reason alone google will pick up customers...Microsoft has had since Office 2000 to fix this problem and has chosen NOT to do so.

Quoting:Share the Same Start Page, Do the Rest Yourself. It's true that Google gives your business, school or home the ability to share one common start page, and they even allow for easy collaboration with your office documents and web page designs. But the collaboration stops there.

Um...no. You can share calendars between all units of business AND you can set viewing options yourself using the calendars. No need to delegate things. No need to call an exchange admin to set the permissions for you. If you have multiple domains, no need to add permissions from one domain to another. Setting up appointments is a snap and you can even schedule appointments OUTSIDE of your business....try that with Outlook...you need a third party app to see if the scheduled time for the appointment is busy because it can't query outside of it's own exchange server. Google has it beat hands down on this.

Here are some other things you've obviously missed:

Imagine using an XML feed for a company or department calendar and everyone immediately being notified of a new appointment or meeting. All of this is included in google services.

Imagine setting up a re-occurring appointment and being emailed, text messaged, and/or phone called on your cell at a reminder time YOU setup...with or without a blackberry/treo. All of this is included in google services.

Don't forget that all of this is included with Google Desktop too...with handy searching of your computer. You can add a gadget that displays your calendar right there on your desktop and flashes incoming appointments and other such information. http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/gdcalendar.html

Want to find that appointment last year that you went to at the Sheraton? No problem, use your built in search function that google has. Does Microsoft have this? Yeah, but it's SLOW and the results SUCK. Google has them beat on this too.

I'd say that small businesses are eying these abilities quite a bit...especially since you can view word and excel docs there...and trim the fat as far as the cash cow that is office goes. I'd say a great combination for businesses would be google spreadhseets and docs along with OpenOffice.

Quoting:Fisher Price Toys for an Adult Sized Job. Overall, I feel that offering Google services to schools and enterprise operations is laughable

I find your lack of research and actual points to your disagreement that google is a competitor laughable.

Quoting:I suppose it would not be so bad if Google offered in-house syncing for Google-to-mobile devices.
ical export through cron job or XML feed.

Quoting:Personally, the one office that I need to stay in sync with happens to be Microsoft supported. Thanks to Outlook Web Access, I can manage my email/calendar/tasks universally rather than tagging back-and-forth with useless reminders and SMS messages.

Sounds like you're the victim of vendor lock in...unable to work with any other format than that of the one given to you.

You need help my friend...you didn't do your homework and have written a poorly researched article. I've done it myself before but not to this degree.

I'm not a huge fan of google, but when you spread info about something and that info isn't true...it's FUD no matter which way you look at it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!