Here we go again...

Story: The Battle of Media Centers for LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
techiem2

Mar 14, 2007
6:11 AM EDT
Choice is bad, mergers and monopolies are good. We only need one media player, one desktop environment, one light window manager...... He seems to miss the point that the whole point is that people have slightly (or hugely) different visions as to what they want and how they want it done, therefore they start a new project. Yes, that leads to duplication of some efforts, but that's a natural part of design. By his logic, we should only have one auto maker, one tv maker, etc., because they are all duplicate efforts. So much for innovation.
dcparris

Mar 14, 2007
6:50 AM EDT
Apparently you haven't learned the lesson that we can only have ONE winner. Only ONE survivor. ONE reigning competitor, solution, dominatrix, whatever. ONE ring to rule them all! Heaven forbid everyone should run around sharing glory, waterholes and wealth! And no, we can't just all get along. Choices shmoices! Harumppphh! Just wait till next year. LXer will own the major networks! We'll rule the media world ruthlessly and shamelessly! We'll stomp out choice and competition! We'll... We'll... Huh? Wake up you say? Oh, I must have been dreaming.
jdixon

Mar 14, 2007
7:22 AM EDT
> Apparently you haven't learned the lesson that we can only have ONE winner....

One editor in charge, who rules with an iron fist... Oh, sorry, wrong fora. :)
bigg

Mar 14, 2007
7:32 AM EDT
You guys with your "we need choice" are crazy. There was only one web browser available for years to most people (IE 6), and it did just fine. It gave a secure, feature-filled experience, and Microsoft kept innovating the whole time.
jdixon

Mar 14, 2007
7:38 AM EDT
bigg:

You forgot your sarcasm tags.
bigg

Mar 14, 2007
7:43 AM EDT
My sarcasm tag is the phrase "Microsoft kept innovating".
DarrenR114

Mar 14, 2007
7:49 AM EDT
@bigg,

You mean they didn't?

First you guys disillusion me about Santa Claus (some LXer let it slip that he's actually Blackbeard in disguise) and now you tell me that Microsoft hasn't been innovating. What's next? The Easter Bunny is actually a part time job for Wile E Coyote?

/me goes and hides just in case someone else destroys another fundamental "truth".
dinotrac

Mar 14, 2007
7:53 AM EDT
>The Easter Bunny is actually a part time job for Wile E Coyote?

No, not at all. Wile tried out for the job, but, at the audition, went postal on the interview committee when the timer beeped.
jdixon

Mar 14, 2007
8:11 AM EDT
> The Easter Bunny is actually a part time job for Wile E Coyote?

Well, opinions differ. Some have argued that the Easter Bunny is actually Bun-Bun (http://www.sluggy.com) while others have argued that it's Kevin Dewclaw (http://www.kevinandkell.com). Finding the exact strips involved in beyond my time limits at the moment.
jimf

Mar 14, 2007
10:09 AM EDT
> No, not at all. Wile tried out for the job, but, at the audition, went postal on the interview committee when the timer beeped.

Absolutely correct... The job was then offered to the Road Runner, but he declined and took the job with Time Warner. The Easter Bunny position is, to my knowledge, still open if Darren wishes to apply.
DarrenR114

Mar 14, 2007
10:17 AM EDT
Nah -- too seasonal ...

If Blackbeard would retire from the Santa gig, however, then maybe I could do with both.

But I think I'd have to get whoever is covering the Tooth Fairy job to give me that position as well. Too bad I'm so darned ugly in a tutu though. Maybe I should settle for Snack Fairy, if I could displace Colin.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!