Didiot alert

Story: Yankee Group rebuts Linux-Watch columnTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
richo123

Mar 15, 2007
4:32 AM EDT
Wow Laura is getting pretty sensitive about having her material labeled FUD by "irrelevant" Linux "losers". Keep up the good work Steven.
phsolide

Mar 15, 2007
4:52 AM EDT
Is it my imagination, or is Laura DiDio's "rebuttal" just a bunch of nit-picking?

The rebuttal doesn't really address anything of substance, it's more along the lines of a "spelling flame" than anything else.

Or did I miss something? My own personal bias is to not believe anything that a paid analyst/shill like DiDio (or Rob Enderle, Gartner, IDC, etc) says or writes, until I can confirm it very personally.

Also, MSFT/Wagg-Ed's history of shilling and astroturfing (http://www.inlumineconsulting.com:8080/website/msft.shilling...) really muddies the waters when it comes to pro-MSFT opinions. I find myself looking closely for sub-text and patterns in any slashdot.org or osnews.com pro-MSFT comment. In retrospect, I also have to wonder about my 1995-96 usenet experience reading alt.fan.bill-gates. How many of those hard-shell microsoft boosters were paid to be so hard-shell? I know that other people believe that MSFT/Wagg-Ed has shills and sock-puppets in virtually all on-line forums. A $40-billion war chest could allow you to do such things, I suppose.
jsusanka

Mar 18, 2007
7:53 AM EDT
I would like to see Laura D. buy two computers with same exact hardware without any os installed and that all the hardware is on the hcl's of both linux and windows.

I would like to see a column from her on the installation of both off the shelf windows and linux and actually time it and see which desktop is the quickest to actually being productive - ( i.e word processing, email, web surfing) and just tell like it is - no fluff just facts - that can't be that hard.

the result will be she will be working on the linux for days and still be downloading/buying software for windows just to be at a very minimal productive level.

I have done this with windows xp a few years ago and it was a joke - never did get finished with the windows because I got tired of installing and rebooting.
tuxchick

Mar 18, 2007
10:15 AM EDT
jsusanka, usofunny- while your idea is very good and chock-full of merit, it depends on a fatally-flawed assumption: that DiDio has even the tiniest interest in facts.
pogson

Mar 18, 2007
11:24 AM EDT
jsusanka wrote: "I got tired of installing and rebooting."

My son, who is on his way to being liberated from that other OS, informed me that most of the reboots of that other OS are indeed unnecessary. It is just for "backwards compatibility" that they ask users to reboot. Most of the reboots have been unneccessary since NT which is all that XP is. The last time I was a sysadmin for that other OS, we had to re-install on 25 machines one day. It took me half the day to reboot six times each to put back applications and settings that were individual to each machine. Ah, the joys of proprietary software.

Now, I use LTSP, and I can do anything in a few minutes on a few servers and it is done for all the users on as many seats as there are in the system, usually without a reboot, or even killing a user. Ah, the joy of LInux. I will never go back. I have escaped the Dark Forces forever. I can say that because if I cannot find a Linux job next time, I will just retire and do my own thing ;-) but there are plenty of jobs asking for Linux as a plus. I live for the day that Linux is the job. Vista should accelerate the Linux ball for quite a while. Dell could really grease the wheels.
swbrown

Mar 18, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
> My son, who is on his way to being liberated from that other OS, informed me that most of the reboots of that other OS are indeed unnecessary. It is just for "backwards compatibility" that they ask users to reboot.

You're still stuck doing reboots on Windows last I remember due to it not allowing you to replace several types of in-use files. On Linux, knocking an in-use library out just leaves it invisibly refcounted on the filesystem for the processes that have it loaded. On Windows, the dlls have to be triaged for the next boot and are installed into place before the main part of the OS loads.
Abe

Mar 18, 2007
4:22 PM EDT
Quoting:On Linux, knocking an in-use library out just leaves it invisibly refcounted on the filesystem for the processes that have it loaded. On Windows, the dlls have to be triaged for the next boot and are installed into place before the main part of the OS loads.

VMS, which NT series of Windows OS is build on or copied from to be more exact, has a file version appended at the end of the file name. For those who are not familiar with it, it is an integer that is incremented and appended at the end of a file after a semicolon (;), as a separator, whenever a file is modified. When you do an upgrade, the new version file gets incremented automatically. When you launch the application again, it automatically uses the latest version. If you had a Run Time Library file, you can reloaded dynamically and it replaces the older version in memory. If the library was an installed (pre-loaded shared) library, you can install the new one dynamically. Again, none of the files/libraries that were open are deleted until they are released by the application that had them opened.

That is a feature that no other OS ever had. Man I miss that feature on Linux.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2007
4:48 PM EDT
Quoting:That is a feature that no other OS ever had.

Excuse me? That's a feature that VMS had since it was invented and ran off old VAX boxes. How do you think it got into NT in the first place? When MS found out that DOS is a really crappy base to built an GUI-ified OS on, they make some deals and based NT off VMS.

I use OpenVMS on a daily basis at my current job and the versioning is system-wide. User data, application data, even temp files. Everything is versioned. Pretty handy in case you screw up but also a PITA when using automated processes. Versions don't clean themselves up (you have to issue a "purge" manually) and there is no way to reset a version back to 1 except by a move, delete, rename back action. Pretty annoying since the system chokes if the version number reaches 32768 (8-bit signed integer limit)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS
Abe

Mar 18, 2007
7:24 PM EDT
Quoting:Excuse me? That's a feature that VMS had since it was invented and ran off old VAX boxes.

Sander: I don't think I said NT has that feature, that was one off the features that was removed when VMS was copied. I said VMS is the only OS that has it. May be I didn't make my self clear enough but if you read again, I think you will see that.

It is true that 32768 is the max, but you can change the version any time you need to and to what ever you want it to be after clearing the other versions using rename. "purge" does a specific thing, it deletes all older versions but keeps the highest one, unless you specify the keep qualifier. Delete removes any versions you specify. As a matter of fact, you are obliged to specify a version when you delete a file or ;* for all versions.

You can clean older versions out automatically by setting the directory file to keep a certain # of version numbers. But you specifically have to rename a version to whatever you want it to be. It is part of the file rename.

My friend, there is no need to mention how long I have used VMS but it was for very long long time and still using it.
jdixon

Mar 18, 2007
8:24 PM EDT
> As a matter of fact, you are obliged to specify a version when you delete a file or ;* for all versions.

Oh, yes. I remember that "feature" from my days on Delphi, which ran on top of VMS. It was a royal pain getting used to it as a user, but I can see how it would be useful for administration.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2007
10:46 PM EDT
Quoting:I said VMS is the only OS that has it.

Oops. That'll teach me to post when I really should be in bed already :-) I thought you were talking about NT.

I've never tried simply renaming files to keep the version number down. I'll give it a try. It would speed up some of my scripts quite a bit I think.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!