a bit of fud to start the day?

Story: Linux pro turns to Active Directory identity managementTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
herzeleid

Mar 21, 2007
11:03 AM EDT
So, a unix/linux server could provide centralized user management for unix, but that would require a central server, which would be a bad thing... but if it's a central pee cee server running ad, it's a good thing... I'm confused.
tuxchick

Mar 21, 2007
11:16 AM EDT
Meh, it's a commercial for an unnecessary product. Separate Unix login server? Hello, haven't these poor fools heard of Samba? With Samba 3 your unix boxies can be regular Active Directory members.

But why be chained to Active Directory anyway? LDAP, Fedora Directory Server, Novell's various offerings- there are many superior alternatives that don't have the sole goal of locking you in.
herzeleid

Mar 21, 2007
11:28 AM EDT
Right on tc -

Come to think of it, I set up an openldap based login server here on linux as proof of concept 3 years ago, and it worked perfectly - central management of users, and in our case, nfs export info for automounting as well. And gee, guess what, the "login server" was not some separate, dedicated box, it was just another linux box handling lots of other jobs...
DarrenR114

Mar 21, 2007
12:53 PM EDT
herzeleid - you should write up that proof-of-concept as a HowTo.

I know I'd like to give it a whirl.
dcparris

Mar 21, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
I'm with Darren, herzeleid! A couple of good articles on deploying OpenLDAP (possibly with a sample schema that fits with real world usage) would be fantastic. I've got a book on it, but sometimes people just need to know how to deploy for a specific scenario.
herzeleid

Mar 21, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
OK, I'll have to see what I can come up with, if there's really a call for it. I'll most likely have to retrace my steps from scratch LOL.

ISTR though, that I was inspired by an article in LJ about some company in the midwest that implemented a single sign on solution using linux and openldap...
Sander_Marechal

Mar 21, 2007
3:08 PM EDT
Here's another vote for a simple OpenLDAP tutorial.
tracyanne

Mar 21, 2007
9:47 PM EDT
I'd like to see a good How to on setting up an OpenLdap login server.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!