That could have gone further

Story: Lightweight Linux That's Both Beautiful *and* FunctionalTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
cr

Mar 22, 2007
3:56 AM EDT
My expectation from the title was that the writer would do a survey of a few of the current lightweight WMs. Instead he went straight from KDE to XFCE to FVWM-Crystal. He explained his choices, but still, the article was limited.
bigg

Mar 22, 2007
6:48 AM EDT
Seriously, Ubuntu? There could have also been a discussion of other distributions.

If you want to make an old machine work, you have to either sacrifice looks or time. Etch with xfce and a different set of icons looks really good on my main production machine with a 2 ghz processor and 512 mb of ram. It sure looks a lot better than fvwm-crystal. I obviously could run anything I want.

Sorry, but if this was designed to be informative for Windows converts, I think it missed the mark. All you'll hear is laughter if you introduce fvwm.
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
7:45 AM EDT
Geez! If a 2GHz processor is 'old', I'm using ancient technology. Y'all should see my 450MHz boxes run Debian with GNOME and KDE!
bigg

Mar 22, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
> If a 2GHz processor is 'old', I'm using ancient technology.

Agreed. That is ancient. I won't claim 2 GHz is old, just that it can run anything yet I choose xfce.
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
My primary server and my laptop are both @ 1.2GHz. That's as cutting edge as I can get right now. :-(
bigg

Mar 22, 2007
8:21 AM EDT
I guess in that case there is no threat that you will give up on Linux and move to Vista.
jimf

Mar 22, 2007
8:29 AM EDT
If you don't run the full load of junk that's included with the kde default, kde is just as fast as any of the supposed lightweights. I suspect the same is, more or less, true for gnome. I have a PII dual 300 with 512mb that I'll be converting from w2k soon. I know that's going to work with kde just fine.
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
8:47 AM EDT
> I guess in that case there is no threat that you will give up on Linux and move to Vista.

You know, If MS paid off my mortgage, I would probably buy a fancy-shmancy new Vista box to have handy for all my DRMed content. Oh wait, I don't have DRMed content. Well, I could probably use it as a door stop or something.
jimf

Mar 22, 2007
9:00 AM EDT
> Well, I could probably use it as a door stop or something.

Sure, mount it on the house peak as a weathervane... nice finishing touch :)
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
9:07 AM EDT
Um, Jim, I live in a sub-division. They have standards for decorating the house. I'm pretty sure Vista's UI violates the standards. But it might make a nice scare crow in my veggie garden. ;-)
jimf

Mar 22, 2007
9:31 AM EDT
> a nice scare crow in my veggie garden. ;-)

Vista sure as heck scares me. Crows are pretty smart, so, it will probably scare them too, but i'f not, just paste a picture of Bill on it ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!