OLPC

Story: Does the world really need OLPC?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
rsevenic

Mar 25, 2007
6:01 PM EDT
'tis a passable parody, but one wonders why Gnu/Linux? Is CP/M really dead?

Richard
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2007
3:26 AM EDT
>'tis a passable parody

I suppose, if religious bigotry is parody.
SFN

Mar 26, 2007
4:48 AM EDT
Quoting:I suppose, if religious bigotry is parody.

Yes. Remember: One must never make fun of another person's beliefs. That's bigotry. Unless of course that other person believes something you think is wrong. Then it's just savvy commentary,
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2007
6:25 AM EDT
>One must never make fun of another person's beliefs.

Sorry, I don't agree with that at all. That's making fun (though it can be bigotry).

This article doesn't make fun of any religious beliefs. it simply uses "Christian" as a code word. That smells like bigotry to me.
SFN

Mar 26, 2007
6:36 AM EDT
I'll try to remember that the next time I hear "liberal" used as a code word.
tuxtom

Mar 26, 2007
7:46 AM EDT
...or "Microsoft".
SFN

Mar 26, 2007
7:55 AM EDT
Ooh, yes. Good catch.

Perhaps a new database is in order. One that identifies these "code words". That way we can all easily recognize when a bigot posts.
tuxtom

Mar 26, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
Doubleplus good idea!
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2007
8:29 AM EDT
Sigh. The thought police are out in droves today.
dcparris

Mar 26, 2007
9:07 AM EDT
I love how the author explains that Minix was invented by the SCO Group. Did anyone else catch that?

As for the thought police, there is but one that I bother trying to please with my thoughts. Sorry, it ain't nobody 'round these here parts. ;-)
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2007
9:22 AM EDT
>Minix was invented by the SCO Group

Seriously. After all, everybody know that Minix was invented by Ralston Purina, along with wheat chex and rice chex.
jdixon

Mar 26, 2007
9:39 AM EDT
> As for the thought police, there is but one that I bother trying to please with my thoughts. Sorry, it ain't nobody 'round these here parts. ;-)

Consider a bill to LXer for my psychiatric counseling over this unwarranted rejection to be in the mail. :)
bigg

Mar 26, 2007
9:49 AM EDT
A little off-topic, but related to the SCO comment. From Bjarne Stroustrup's homepage:

"But someone from SCO claimed that they own C++"; is that not so? It's complete rubbish. I saw that interview. The SCO guy clearly had no clue what C++ was, referring to it as "the C++ languages". At most, SCO may own a 15-year old and seriously outdated version of Cfront - my original C++ compiler. I was careful not to patent or trademark anything to do with C++. That's one reason we write plain "C++" and not "C++(tm)". The C++ standard is unencumbered of patents - the committee carefully checked that also.
SFN

Mar 26, 2007
10:13 AM EDT
Quoting:Sigh. The thought police are out in droves today.
I couldn't agree more.
DarrenR114

Mar 26, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
@SFN,

Did I authorise you to think that agreement?
SFN

Mar 26, 2007
10:43 AM EDT
I hereby recognize "authorise" as a code word.

Please add it to the database.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!