My Sony Vaio from Circuit City, same thing.

Story: ChangeLog: Run Linux, lose warrantyTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
My hardware warrantee from Circuit City says that if I run anything other than the OS it came with, the hardware warrantee is void.

I wonder, however, if, since it came with XP "Home", if I had put XP Pro or Vista on it, would they have still canceled the warrantee?

I don't think so.

It would be very, very interesting to see if, buried somewhere in the OEM sales agreements, is a clause about hardware warrantees being canceled for running non-Windows and who (gosh, who?) put it there....

dinotrac

Mar 26, 2007
1:53 PM EDT
Now here's the irony --

What better definition is there of a computer that doesn't work well than to say it's a Windows Machine?

OTOH -

If we're talking about a store warranty instead of a manufacturer's warranty, I have a tiny shred of sympathy (note -- that's very tiny) if only because the "geekfiresquaddog" folks have to content with people bringing it in and saying "it's broke!".

The customers may just have screwed the OS pooch, and the geekdogthingy might not know enough to check out hardware seperate from the OS.
tracyanne

Mar 26, 2007
2:01 PM EDT
It's fairly standard in my experience that you don't get good service from retailers if you change the OS to something other than another Windows. There has been one exception to this, and that was Harvey Norman - the Australian Walmart type Mega store. They gave me excellent service when I dropped my laptop in for some hardware problems.
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2007
4:39 PM EDT
>They gave me excellent service when I dropped my laptop in for some hardware problems.

Sounds like another entry for my "Reasons to move to Australia" list.
jdixon

Mar 26, 2007
4:45 PM EDT
This is why it's good to keep a small Windows partition on your laptop and to set it up to dual boot. :(

Of course you can always order a laptop from one of the vendors in LXer's preinstalled Linux database. :)
bigg

Mar 26, 2007
4:49 PM EDT
So if Dell sells Linux laptops, does that mean installing Vista will void the warranty?
tracyanne

Mar 26, 2007
4:58 PM EDT
quote:: Sounds like another entry for my "Reasons to move to Australia" list. ::

Yeah. But don't tell everyone, we like to keep things pretty exclusive.

Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2007
4:58 PM EDT
What I did was buy a new 7200RPM HD to replace the stock 5400RPM HD. Then I restored Windoze to the old disk, and put it in an anti-static bag. When something seems broken, swap disks. If it stays broken (and so far it always has) then I just take it back as is.

The Vaio has been in the shop something like 7 times to get the DVD drive fixed. Once, before I bought the new HD, the DVD drive broke so bad it wouldn't reinstall Windows. So I sent it as-was, with Debian, and (funny thing) it came back with Windows on it.

Never, ever, send a machine in for repair with un-backed-up data on it.
jimf

Mar 26, 2007
5:04 PM EDT
> Of course you can always order a laptop from one of the vendors in LXer's preinstalled Linux database. :)

Yes, you can. There looks to be some good hardware at decent prices out there. My suspicion is that the independents will work hard to get your dollar.
bigg

Mar 26, 2007
5:13 PM EDT
The database is good for personal purchases. I'd have a hard time convincing my employer to buy from one of those companies.
dcparris

Mar 26, 2007
5:50 PM EDT
Um, some of those companies actually tend to cater specifically to businesses. Of course, the key was to make the DB home-user friendly, so...
bigg

Mar 26, 2007
6:25 PM EDT
Perhaps, but it's hard getting anything other than Dell from my employer. Maybe HP and Gateway are the only possible others.
jimf

Mar 26, 2007
7:34 PM EDT
> it's hard getting anything other than Dell from my employer.

I suggest they eat more bran...
purplewizard

Mar 27, 2007
1:38 AM EDT
If they advertise it as suitable and you buy it for that purpose and they know it (and you ideally have good evidence to prove it) then unless they specify a different warranty when you purchase (or other comparable contractual conditions) then they still should be honoring it.

Through the EU you have a funny thing in law giving you that expectation as a final resort.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!