note from somebody that has done this

Story: Linux goes racing,, do you want to help?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
cjcox

Apr 17, 2007
1:42 PM EDT
I helped start one of the largest software companies in the world today. Early on in our success we decided to paste our new logo onto a race car. Folks... not many people saw it or were even aware of it. That's just the facts.

Use the money to setup manned in-store displays at Best Buy or even Wal*Mart.

Throwing LARGE money at something like this is like...

How's the market Bob?

- We've got our name out there on everything.

Like what?

- Newprint, magazines, milk cartons, beer cans, websites, door flyers, arena banners... just about everything... shoot, we even have a diaper with our logo now.

So pretty much everything is covered?

- Yep. And we still have billions left in our marketing budget.

Do you have your logo on a car in the Indy 500?

- Nope. Never thought of that one.... I'll look into it.
bundy

Apr 18, 2007
8:35 PM EDT
I assume your company placed it's name on a car in the Indianapolis 500? Yes / no?

I actually spent many years in retail merchandising. If you're lucky, the same LARGE Tux 500 money you're referring to might buy you ONE display program in ONE of the stores you're talking about - that is, of course if you can even get placement for a product with such little name recognition as Linux or, as is more likely the case, don't get outbid for the same display space by Microsoft!!!

Do you really think a large retailer is going to jeopardize their (likely highly profitable) relationship with Microsoft to take a flier on Linux? Nope. At least not until the public knows about Linux and begins to demand it.

And they will know about Linux because...???
dinotrac

Apr 19, 2007
1:24 AM EDT
bundy -

Wrong answer. Cjcox is actually building a straw man, though I think that's unintentional.

The straw man in this case is some fictional company -- let's call it "Linuxco".

Linuxco has a budget, a marketing plan, and all the accoutrements of a big business.

Linuxco management can decide where and how to spend its money.

That ain't our reality. Helios and friends are trying to make a splash, one that will encourage people to put up the money for the marketing. He doesn't have the luxery of a calibrated follow-on. He doesn't even have the luxery of a budget to pull this money from. He's just trying his darndest to make it appear.

I don't know if the Indy 500 is the most effective use of money or not. It gets lots of notice. In the scheme of things, it's not a lot money. It's certainly nowhere near the cost of a 30 second Super Bowl ad.

Abe

Apr 19, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
Like Dino said, plus it is a beginning for some thing that has been long over due. I believe everyone agrees (may be not MS or their lackeys). It is a start and other ways will be explored in the future.

For now, don't think about the amount of money, just thing about what you are going to pitch in. It is only few bucks, loose change, and between now and the due date, drop a quarter a day for 32 days in Tux500 kiddie bank, you end up donating ~$8. That is what I am doing and I don't think it is such a big deal.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!