The First?

Story: Michael Dell's Linux choice? UbuntuTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
bigg

Apr 19, 2007
6:29 AM EDT
> Michael Dell is almost certainly the first billionaire to embrace the penguin

Larry Ellison isn't a billionaire?

Interesting publicity stunt, but put a video on YouTube with him endorsing Linux, showing how he actually uses it for his daily activities.
Abe

Apr 19, 2007
7:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Michael Dell is almost certainly the first billionaire to embrace the penguin.

Embrace? Well, how do you know that?

Did he say that himself or we haven't heard?

Is this just hype and sensationalism on SJVN's part similar to what Dell did a while back?

Dell cried wolf too many times to believe them.

Again, I will believe it when I see it.

qcimushroom

Apr 19, 2007
7:43 AM EDT
Every one has to start somewhere.
number6x

Apr 19, 2007
8:15 AM EDT
Shuttle worth is a US billionaire. In English based naming he is just a thousand-millionaire.

In the US 10^9 is Billion, In England (and S.A.) that's just a Thousand Million.
DarrenR114

Apr 19, 2007
10:42 AM EDT
I don't know that SJVN is given to "sensationalism" ... back last year he was saying that while he would like the rumors to be true, he sincerely doubted Oracle would release their own Linux distribution. A couple of weeks later, he had a large helping of crow to eat when Oracle released its "Unbreakable Linux".
jdixon

Apr 19, 2007
10:45 AM EDT
> ...he sincerely doubted Oracle would release their own Linux distribution.

Well, he was largely correct, as Oracle didn't release their own distribution. They settled for re-badging Red Hat.
DarrenR114

Apr 19, 2007
11:40 AM EDT
@jdixon,

Mandrake got their start the same way, but I still consider Mandrake a separate distribution. Ditto with CentOS.
jdixon

Apr 19, 2007
12:17 PM EDT
> Mandrake got their start the same way...

Mandrake started as Red Hat with KDE, compiled for Pentium level processors. that's not quite the same thing. They are similar to CentOS, I'll grant, but we'll have to wait and see if they offer the same quality.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!