Author Content
kozmcrae

Apr 20, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
Hello Vista.
jezuch

Apr 20, 2007
2:37 PM EDT
Wiśta! Wio! [that's in Polish what you say to a horse when you want it to go somewhere] [and 'W' is read as 'V', remember :)]
gus3

Apr 21, 2007
2:10 PM EDT
Some of us never said Hello to WinXP. Or Win2K.
Abe

Apr 21, 2007
2:45 PM EDT
Quoting:Hello Vista.

Be careful there. What makes you sure that Vista is going to make it? With all the problems, issues and costs involved, MS might find it wise to go back to XP just to stay in business at $3.00 per copy.

number6x

Apr 22, 2007
10:42 AM EDT
Vista will make it because it will be pre-installed on almost every PC consumers buy.

Now if people had to buy bare pc's and install their own OS, Vista would not be able to compete against Linux.

People were able to us PC's with Windows 3.1 installed, they will figure out how to get by with Vista.

After all, how hard is it to open up mine sweeper?
helios

Apr 22, 2007
7:41 PM EDT
Now if people had to buy bare pc's and install their own OS, Vista would not be able to compete against Linux.

I don't think that's the case. People are going to use what they know. Our heart-felt and sincere "word of mouth" efforts have brought us far but not nearly far enough. What...a three to four percent world-wide market share vs Windows and Mac? No. People are going to stick with what they know or know about. The increase in Linux usage given slick-drive PC sales would be minimal at this point in time

h
jimf

Apr 22, 2007
9:49 PM EDT
> a three to four percent world-wide market share

That MS will admit to...We've already hashed that one over, and, because of the way linux is (not) sold, we may never really know. The MS 3-4% figure may have been right 3-4 years ago, but, I'm thinking the current bite of the market is something close to 15%.
helios

Apr 23, 2007
4:27 AM EDT
is something close to 15%.

I am thinking so too, however the sub 5% figure is seemingly the one that is considered accurate, and yes you are right on a second front. MS is more than likely responsible for the perpetuation of that figure and its strength in the media.
henke54

Apr 23, 2007
5:40 AM EDT
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39087

;-P
dinotrac

Apr 23, 2007
5:53 AM EDT
henke54 -

I'm confused as to why that would be news to anybody. Not so much the Vista failure as Microsoft's loss of power.

It's been obvious for some time that the 800 lb gorilla is becoming more dead weight than fearsome beast. Only a subset of FOSS scaredy-cats seem to have missed the news.
jdixon

Apr 23, 2007
6:07 AM EDT
> It's been obvious for some time that the 800 lb gorilla is becoming more dead weight than fearsome beast.

Agreed, but even a dying gorilla can still inflict a fearsome amount of damage.
dinotrac

Apr 23, 2007
6:27 AM EDT
> Agreed, but even a dying gorilla can still inflict a fearsome amount of damage.

Oh sure. You wan't to avoid those big swiping paws, death hugs, etc. But...on the bright side, all that energy expended in frantic lashing out just hastens the end.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!