Is it just me?

Story: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-159Total Replies: 7
Author Content
herzeleid

Apr 22, 2007
1:09 PM EDT
I installed kubuntu 7.04 on my trusty toshiba tecra laptop friday night, and while it kinda sorta worked, and had some good points, it also had its warts.

Likes - kununtu recognized all my hardware and did the install with no problem. The look and feel are nice.

Dislikes - the software installer/updater was painfully slow. After the initial install was completed, I went through the list of available packages to select software for install, and there was a 1-2 minute wait after every single item I selected, for the checkmark to appear in the box I had just clicked. After finally got through the list of packages and clicked install, it worked for some hours, and then at the very end it threw an error, saying that there was some sort of issue with some package, so it was cancelling the whole thing. Wow, bummer. So I tried to start up the software updater again, and it died, saying there was already an operation in progress....

I'd had enough by that time, so an hour or so later I was back to opensuse 10.2. Don't anyone tell me that debian's package manager is teh cool, it just didn't cut it for me. OTOH suse's yast/zypper was perfect, online updates just worked, and within an hour I had added the repos, and had all the mulitmedia goodies in effect, running on a stunning beryl desktop.

I do have an open mind, and I keep looking for something would make me want to leave suse, but I haven't found it yet.
jdixon

Apr 22, 2007
1:20 PM EDT
Well, first and foremost, Kubuntu is not Debian. The repositories are different, and for all I know the software update utility may be different. So don't judge Debian's package management by Kubuntu. Go get a Debian install disk and try it out instead.

That said, I just tried to install Debian from a netinstall disk on a VMware virtual machine. I know it should work, because there's a machine you can download from VMware's site, but I couldn't get the installer to work. There were several recoverable errors during the install, all of which required that I rerun that step, but it finally blew up complete when it came to installing a bootloader. Neither grub no lilo would install. I gave up and deleted the virtual machine. :(
jimf

Apr 22, 2007
1:33 PM EDT
> Don't anyone tell me that debian's package manager is teh cool

Well, you're installing 'Kbuntu', so how would you know ;-)

Frankly a standard Debian Testing/KDE netinstall will do way better than what you describe, or try sidux. That's one that really impressed me. I know sidux doesn't have all the non-free bits, but, if you must, those are easily added.

With the testing install, or etch, entering 'tasks=standard, desktop, kde-desktop' as a boot option will get you the full KDE install.... that's hardly waiting for each package.
herzeleid

Apr 22, 2007
1:58 PM EDT
> Well, you're installing 'Kbuntu', so how would you know ;-)

Well, OK, I figured it was pretty much the same mechanism, just different repos. To be completely rigorous, I suppose should do an etch install, before judging the debian package managers.
jimf

Apr 22, 2007
2:05 PM EDT
> an etch install

It's probably best to do the etch / kde install, and then get synaptic and make any other choices from there. Drop by IRC OFTC #debcentral, and I'll get a list of other Debian repos to you.
herzeleid

Apr 22, 2007
4:30 PM EDT
> Drop by IRC OFTC #debcentral, and I'll get a list of other Debian repos to you.

Thanks Jim - BTW would you recommend etch for a toshiba tecra laptop? Pentium-M 1.8 G, intel wireless/ethernet, nvidia graphics, 512 M RAM...
jimf

Apr 22, 2007
5:09 PM EDT
I run Debian Etch or Testing on my Compaq Presario with 512 pretty much a full KDE desktop. Wireless (as with any distro) is the only thing you may have to struggle with. To be absolutely certain, I suggest you boot the live sidux and see if that supports it all.

I also just ran across this one: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hosted/debian-etch-toshiba-t...

It seems it will run under etch, including the wireless with a little fiddling.
jdixon

Apr 23, 2007
2:37 AM EDT
Jimf, you may be happy to know that I retried the Debian install again last night and it installed with no problems. The only thing I did differently was selecting bridged networking instead of NAT. I have no idea why that would have made a difference. So, I have a working Debian install in a VMware virtual machine to play with.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!