These guyz are getting it right.

Story: Vector Linux - Chaucer's Beautiful HagTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Apr 25, 2007
7:29 AM EDT
Having been a distro sampler from way back, I know that this one can be easy to miss. Fate can wield her cruel hand at times. I've been beating the drum for Vector Linux for a while now and with others doing the same, it seems to be helping them in the much-coveted Distrowatch.com standings. This is indeed a beautiful distro and on my aging machines, it runs faster than some of the "mini-distros"...and that's in a fully loaded KDE environment. I hope these guys the best and also hope that mention of Vector Linux in an upcoming interview further helps their rise on the charts.

You are correct though about the installer. Another issue therein lies with some of the terminology encountered while installing Vector Linux, or almost any distro for that matter. How many people do you think know what a "framebuffer" is? It sure sounds important, and I have watched as many struggle with this question while doing installs. Just one point that might help make a difference in the overall experience. Installation can be a defining moment in a new user's mind when it comes to an opinion about Linux.

h

DarrenR114

Apr 25, 2007
11:34 AM EDT
What's a framebuffer? What's a helios?

For that matter, what's a Darren?
helios

Apr 25, 2007
5:04 PM EDT
LOL Darren, I see your point. I did not explain the need for the New Linux User to know what a framebuffer is.

When I sit with a new user for his/her very first boot and vision of Linux, I pay keen attention to facial movements, expressions, body language and weight shifting. All those plus many more are non-verbal Q's telling me things about the user that may aid me in teaching them down the road. Those Q's are a fairly good indicator of the person's "Learning Type." Some of us need hands-on training while others are comfortable with watching it done and picking it up that way. Still others need a thirty to ninety second "digestion period" before something foreign to them starts to settle into the "understood" place.

While I am sure leaving most people to fend for themselves during their first introduction to Linux is fine, for some it almost a lead-pipe cinch that it will end in a negative emotional response. All of us seek something we recognize or can relate to in an unexplored or strange environment. And while it can be set to the opposite, most distros boot in verbose mode. I tell people that watching it zoom by is a good thing because whether they know it or not, they are learning about things that will be valuable later. So in that "search" for something recognizable, some related or similar thing in the process, they run across something asking them about a framebuffer. I don't know...? they ponder...DO I want it to start with or without the Framebuffer? To them, it sounds important enough to stop things dead. Instant inertia, just add doubt.

Now a helios? Don't be silly. A helios is a grouping of helium. Like THAT was hard...

dcparris

Apr 25, 2007
5:41 PM EDT
Then there's the Linux framebuffer: [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=x3X&oi=definer&q=define:linux framebuffer&defl=en]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org....[/url]

As opposed to a plain old framebuffer: http://www.google.com/search?q=define:framebuffer&ie=utf-8&o...
helios

Apr 29, 2007
3:19 AM EDT
Meet the new frame buffer.....

Same as the old framebuffer....

We won't get fooled again.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!