reality

Story: $175 OLPC deals blow to open source, guarantees Microsoft’s continued dominanceTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
nikkels

Apr 27, 2007
10:01 PM EDT
My comments area little different than above. I live and have been living in 3th world countries for 27 years now. Let me tell you what my crystal ball tells me. If they get windows OS on their computer, they will start playing, not learning. No teacher in any school will be able to control them longer than 3 months.It's far to much work and they don't get paid to babysit after school either. Parents don't know s.... what's going on and the neighbors don't care. So, soon enough , they will start running games only , importing viruses and other crap, mess up their installs, and if it doesn't work, throw it in the corner. I have seen it happening with radios, TVs , cassette tapes and all other electronic equipment. They will make a mess out of it and the whole thing becomes useless. There is not enough skilled personnel in 3th world countries to do the maintenance that a million windows PCs require. And the kids either don't care, as it's time consuming or they simply don't understand very well Remember, I live in a country called Thailand, which is supposed to be a little better than the countries we are talking about. Come here and have a look at the state of the average windows PC, be it private, in school , at work or the government. You will get sick in your stomach. Come here and look at what Windows PCs have done to education, you will get even sicker. Bottom line about this rant...When the WindowsPC starts working, the brain goes into a coma.

Now for the 1% of the exceptions that I know of ( and I move around in schools as a teacher ) , they are all interested in Linux , despites the fact that they have their drawers full of windows $1 software. Kids and teachers alike start moving away from windows pirated software.......BY CHOICE.....as there in nobody here to stop you, not even the Law or Law enforcement, from using pirated software. I have handed out at least 20 CDs of the latest Thai based Linux. They came and asked me....I didn't ask them.

Last bottom line. Linux has nothing to fear from Billy Boy Was nice talking to you. Ajarn Farang

Sander_Marechal

Apr 28, 2007
2:10 AM EDT
Quoting:There is not enough skilled personnel in 3th world countries to do the maintenance that a million windows PCs require.

Good point, I hadn't considered that. It's nice to hear on these issues from someone who doesn't live in a 1st world western country.
jsusanka

Apr 28, 2007
6:27 AM EDT
"Come here and have a look at the state of the average windows PC, be it private, in school , at work or the government. You will get sick in your stomach. Come here and look at what Windows PCs have done to education, you will get even sicker. Bottom line about this rant...When the WindowsPC starts working, the brain goes into a coma."

this speaks volumes - I still tend to think computers should not be in the grade schools - kids need to do math in their head and on the paper and learn how to do it right. I always believed and still believe that the computer just distracts this from happening. I hear parents say all the time they need to use computers so they can get a job in the real world. WHAT? In grade school? give me a break - we are doing nothing but raising a bunch of computer users not inventors and it is making me sick. Only thing I can do is make sure my daughter isn't just a computer user.

and thanks for the good points.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!