Certification

Story: Ubuntu on Dell - Good for Linux or just for Canonical?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
richo123

May 02, 2007
4:18 AM EDT
According to the stories I have read Canonical will make sure all the hardware plays right before the end of May. From my experience playing with similar hardware with Ubuntu it won't take much effort to get it working even if Ubuntu would not work properly on that hardware at present.

Will they use proprietary drivers? My guess is yes since Ubuntu have spent a lot of time in the last few months developing a package to do exactly that (restricted-manager).
Sander_Marechal

May 02, 2007
1:53 PM EDT
That would work for the Nvidia driver but not for the ndiswrapper-powered Broadcom Windows driver. And even then it's a nightmare to get working. The most heared suggestion/complaint I hear over here from Ubuntu people is "stay far, far away from Broadcom" (right along the "stay away from ATI too" line).
Aladdin_Sane

May 02, 2007
4:19 PM EDT
Dell's engineering policy toward Linux drivers was explained at http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx "Linux: Driver Support is Key"

(A hint about what's what inside Dell: When it comes from Matt, it's not marketing fluff. (You'll find his name in the kernel source files, for example.))
Sander_Marechal

May 02, 2007
9:49 PM EDT
If they're going to stick to that policy then they'll have to replace the Broadcom wireless cards with something that's supported under Linux. It's okay to advice your customers to buy Linux supported hardware (e.g. printers) but the wireless cards are supplied by Dell themselves. The customer has no say over that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!