Or not so good

Story: Ubuntu on Dell - Good for Linux or just for Canonical?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
purplewizard

May 02, 2007
4:21 AM EDT
My thought is that it might not be so good for Canonical. In the optimistic world where they sell well it could lave more support being demanded than capacity a common problem with sudden growth for that area of companies.
Aladdin_Sane

May 02, 2007
12:04 PM EDT
If I understand your post correctly, I agree: Dell alone has always had trouble keeping enough support staff to keep their promises.

Apparently Dell's "standard" promise: "24/7 support of everything on the order, including the OS and paid-for apps for ever and ever" is not going to be presented for buyers of the Ubuntu systems. More like "24/7 support of all hardware on the order and call Canonical about anything else."

This could be a problem, knowing Dell's customers.
Sander_Marechal

May 02, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
Yes and no. The customers will call the Dell helpdesk, who will probably try to sell then a canonical support contract and transfer their call (or simply give Canonical's phone number).
Aladdin_Sane

May 02, 2007
4:06 PM EDT
Having been a Dell Technician, when I hear the accusation that Dell's phone techs are "trained monkeys," my response is always, "What do you mean trained?"
jdixon

May 02, 2007
5:45 PM EDT
> "What do you mean trained?"

Support is a cost center. Training costs money. Guess what's one of the first things to get cut when belt tightening time comes around. The problem is that once tightened, the belt never seems to get loosened again.
Aladdin_Sane

May 02, 2007
7:15 PM EDT
jdixon:

100% right. In my case, the training at Dell had been dropped long before I got there in 2000.

Taking Tech Support calls for Dell is much like "beating your head on a brick wall."

May explain my eccentricities having done it for 5 years straight.
dinotrac

May 03, 2007
4:53 AM EDT
>May explain my eccentricities having done it for 5 years straight.

So...you'd have been better off doing it stoned?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!