a fun experiment

Story: A month on the command line -- Day 1Total Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

May 04, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
In my own mind there is a clear delineation: servers are CLI, desktops are CLI + GUI. X on a server? Noob! Weenie! As if! But then I use a lot of remote graphical server admin tools, such as Webmin and browser-based admin interfaces. Sure, they're not on the server, so it doesn't have the overhead of X windows, but you still get pointy-clicky.

I just like having both, and I adore graphical apps that support a full range of CLI commands.
techiem2

May 04, 2007
10:43 AM EDT
I'm pretty much the same, but I do prefer the console for many things these days. I live in an Eterm session with screen running. mc for file management, ncmpc (ncurses mpd client) for audio control, irssi for irc and IM (via a bitlbee server). Then all the standard X apps for gui stuff like firefox, tbird, etc.

Servers never get X installed. Webmin and such of course, but never X. I'm usually admining them over ssh or web anyways, so what would be the point?
Steven_Rosenber

May 04, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
At this point, I think the ideal setup would be running a basic X session with a Web browser, then dropping down to the console for everything else.

I'm still trying to get used to the text-based browsers (elinks and lynx).

Another thing about running from the console -- the default fonts on a PC are just the right size -- and they look so good, too. All the problems we have with font rendering in GUIs just fade away when you're looking at a text-only, non-GUI screen. It's a nice environment for a writer.
number6x

May 04, 2007
1:02 PM EDT
arachne?

http://browser.arachne.cz/

tuxchick

May 04, 2007
1:16 PM EDT
Text web browsers are for people who like being frustrated :) Poor things, it's not their fault that 95% of web sites are designed by crazy people.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!