OLPC project clarifies: no plans for Windows support

Story: Laptop IronyTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
henke54

May 06, 2007
2:53 AM EDT
Quoting:According to Walter Bender, president of Software and Content at OLPC, there is no agreement in place between OLPC and Microsoft to offer XO laptops with any version of Windows. Bender also indicated that Microsoft has not contacted OLPC regarding its $3 software bundling program, nor have any governments requested that the XO be outfitted with Windows. In short, there is no existing collaboration between Microsoft and OLPC aimed at outfitting the XO laptop with Windows.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070502-olpc-project-c...
tuxchick

May 06, 2007
5:30 PM EDT
yaaay! It sounded daft, and I'm pleased that it is.
jimf

May 06, 2007
5:52 PM EDT
So who was responsible for the original FUD?
DarrenR114

May 08, 2007
11:32 AM EDT
@jimf

ZDNet ... and you all should have known better - cuz I made note of it when everyone was saying "I knew OLPC is up to no good."
jimf

May 08, 2007
12:39 PM EDT
> ZDNet

Figures ;-)

It's becoming all to easy to push the Linux Community's panic button.
SFN

May 08, 2007
12:46 PM EDT
Quoting:It's becoming all to easy to push the Linux Community's panic button.
And the community gets called on the carpet for it instead of the button pushers.
bigg

May 08, 2007
12:58 PM EDT
> And the community gets called on the carpet for it instead of the button pushers.

Well...I sort of remember a lot of posts of the form "OLPC is evil" even though we knew only a little more about the OLPC case than we do about the Dell/MS/Novell deal.
Abe

May 08, 2007
1:20 PM EDT
Quoting:when everyone was saying "I knew OLPC is up to no good."

I don't recall reading that, but I could be wrong.

What I remember posting and reading others posts is, It would be a big mistake on OLPC part if they work with MS to get Windows on OX.

I also remember to watch the money trail and such.

I personally don't see a problem with jumping and voicing our opinions on issues that might happen, it is a good way to pre-emptive bad moves.

Don't you think so?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!