In this Ken you are wrong

Story: So Dell Said No...Big DealTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

May 08, 2007
8:03 PM EDT
Companies, corporations, set their marketing/Advertising budget a year in advance. The money is already earmarked as an expense, so there is none left over for ad hoc expenditure.

helios

May 08, 2007
8:59 PM EDT
Yes, I understand and I am not saying they are lying...however I do know from speaking with others in equally large corporations that "loose change" can and is often found for things that come up like this. No, I am not accusing them of lying. I am saying they are using a truth to their advantage while hoping an untold truth isn't brought to light. Watch what happens when we get within a few days of deadline...maybe ;0

Someone from this forum mentioned in a blog comment a while back that companies this large did not get this large by being so rigid they cannot take advantage of a pop-up opportunity. I tend to agree.

h
jdixon

May 09, 2007
3:22 AM EDT
> ...so there is none left over for ad hoc expenditure.

All companies keep funds set aside for ad hoc expenditures. The just don't earmark it for anything in particular. Yes, their advertising budget is already set for the year, but someone at Dell has the authority to allocate more funds if they feel the need. They just don't want to.
jimf

May 09, 2007
3:28 AM EDT
Wouldn't have to be Dell. Novell would surely gain back at least a little Community goodwill by backing something like this. Red Hat would also get some good press.
helios

May 09, 2007
5:22 AM EDT
You would think so Jim. Emails, phone calls, registered/certified letters...all sent to the appropriate entities/department heads. With the exception of Dell and Xandros, the others have responded with a roaring silence. A personal email to Michael at Linspire produced like results. While Mark Shuttleworth did respond personally, he did decline to involve "The Big Cannon" in the project. He did offer to kick in fifty bucks but said this isn't something that interested him personally. Unless he has donated it anonymously, I'm not seeing that fifty from him. We have people who are struggling to feed families who donated more than that. There is a mean, little and childish part of me that might send his fifty dollars back to him with a note, but far be it from me to do something like that, LOL

h
NoDough

May 09, 2007
6:08 AM EDT
Quoting:A personal email to Michael at Linspire produced like results.

Technically, Michael isn't at Linspire anymore. It is now headed up by Kevin Carmony. http://www.linspire.com/lindows_about_profiles.php
helios

May 09, 2007
7:35 AM EDT
You sir, are officially added to the "Gentlemen and Scholar" list

h
tracyanne

May 09, 2007
1:57 PM EDT
Quoting:You would think so Jim. Emails, phone calls, registered/certified letters...all sent to the appropriate entities/department heads. With the exception of Dell and Xandros, the others have responded with a roaring silence.

I think it's pretty big that the people/companies you mention, as having bothered to reply, actually did, that puts DELL way up there, as far as I'm concerned. It does show the level of disdain that the other Linux companies have toward your average Linux user. It's obvious that they are really only interested in the "Enterprise", and those of us who use Linux at home on the desktop could go back to using Microsoft, as far as they are concerned.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!