Silly

Story: Gentoo's Graphical Installer is UnnecessaryTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
devnet

May 10, 2007
5:35 AM EDT
A Graphical Installer is there because it's there. If you don't like it, use the ncurses option for install.

The author argues that a user won't learn as much with a graphical installer because in the past Gentoo has been tough to install and this required someone getting familiar with how Linux worked right away.

My take on this is that if someone is going to learn linux...they should do LFS. Last I checked, that was still the best way. Gentoo getting a graphical installer is a step in the right direction for desktops, servers, etc. Also, if someone is set to learn Linux...give them positive experiences at the beginning and then challenge them. It builds confidence and makes lifelong linux users out of them.

Some people become discouraged when something doesn't work the way they thought it would (Gentoo Installs are what we're talking about) and they rise to the challenge and overcome it....but not everyone has that mentality. In those instances with those types of people...we'd lose a Linux user. Giving the user a victory right away at the beginning allows them to begin to say "hey, I'm doing pretty good!" and gives them more stock in the form of time invested in Linux.

I say bring on the graphical installer. It helps more than it could ever hurt.
Scott_Ruecker

May 10, 2007
5:41 AM EDT
I agree a graphical installer for Gentoo is a good thing, I am still working towards doing an install with LFS.

I once tried to install Gentoo and it scared the piss out of me. I knew I was going to mess something up and didn't want to spend the time I knew it would take to figure it out. Why start that far behind the 8 ball?

That was over a year ago..

Pretty soon I'll try again, I have hopefully learned a thing or two since then. :-)

The thing for me though, I am getting really used to Debian right now and I figure if I can learn and know my way around a Debian system I can do anything I want too.
devnet

May 10, 2007
5:47 AM EDT
Scott,

In a lot of respects, Debian is the right way to go...learning it allows you to have a good idea with the rest of the flavors of Linux out there.

I found slackware to be the best learning experience for me. Of course, I came from a Solaris camp in the mid-nineties at the university I was attending...so I was somewhat biased toward more 'unix like' distros. Slack is far and by one of the most efficient, no nonsense distros out there (and having it's speed is excellent BTW).
jdixon

May 10, 2007
6:03 AM EDT
> I found slackware to be the best learning experience for me.... Slack is far and by one of the most efficient, no nonsense distros out there (and having it's speed is excellent BTW).

What he said. :)
techiem2

May 10, 2007
6:27 AM EDT
While the normal gentoo install is a good way to learn some of the ins and outs of linux (and gentoo specifically), I think the graphical installer is a good idea. Frankly, the install process is the most daunting part of gentoo. The rest is fairly easy to grasp (at least I thought so). Besides that, the graphical installer is a nice way to get a system up quickly. You can always recompile it all more optimized later. :)

I really do need to play with slack again one of these days...and get my test debian install built out...
jimf

May 10, 2007
7:48 AM EDT
I thought I'd at least try the live Gentoo, but, since it wouldn't even start an xserver in a live boot, I don't see that happening. Not sure if it has to do with the state of current expectations, or, just how Lazy I've gotten, but that one's a show stopper. It sure doesn't impress me with the wonders of Gentoo, or the competence of their Devs.

I know, I know it's just a ploy by Gentoo to get me to learn more, but if I'd wanted to do it that way, I could have just installed Arch, and still gotten a working xorg. Then again, I could just revert to potato...
techiem2

May 10, 2007
8:49 AM EDT
Odd. Sure you got the right livecd? :) I know there's a bunch of different ones. Some are fully X on boot live, some are console only. *shrug* Haven't looked at the new 2007.0 ones yet.... Course, maybe it just didn't like your machine...
jimf

May 10, 2007
9:02 AM EDT
> Sure you got the right livecd?

Ah... I'm just a poor n00b here... ;-)

> Course, maybe it just didn't like your machine...

Or it didn't like Gentoo ;-)

That wasn't an appeal for support here techiem.
techiem2

May 10, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
Quoting:Or it didn't like Gentoo ;-)

How true..you know how picky our machines can be at times... :)

Now I've gotta check out the latest livecd and see what this shiny new installer is like...

Quoting:That wasn't an appeal for support here techiem.

I can't help it! Everything looks like an appeal for support right now! (I'm currently working at a college as frontline support for the faculty) :)
jimf

May 10, 2007
9:55 AM EDT
@techiem

Sorry guy, I'm just in a crabby mood today. As you may or may not know I'm doing IRC support for Linux almost every evening, so I know all the basics, and 'a little bit' more.

Actually, this box is one of the most compatible I've seen in doing Linux support. Everything is well supported, and it runs well under pretty much every Distro I've tried. Even the x would be no big deal to set up, I have working xorg.conf files that could just be dropped in if I installed. I just find it lame that virtually every Linux Distro that I've tried in the last year boots into x, but Gentoo won't... Not even vesa? That's sure starting out with a resounding thump. Why would a n00b, or anyone soldier on after that.
techiem2

May 10, 2007
10:07 AM EDT
:) Know what ya mean. I was almost in that mood the other day (trying to get windows behaving with government web sites....). *cry*

wow. That is odd. I've seen similar things on random boxes with random livecds before too. Sometimes even between different versions of the same distro. One boots, Other doesn't. Just .... weird. And really annoying.
dcparris

May 10, 2007
2:32 PM EDT
Waitacottonpickin minute here! I thought Windows was the only OS that does behave with government web sites. I'd hate to see how the GNU/Linux desktops are behaving. ;-)

Yes, I'm being facetious.
techiem2

May 10, 2007
4:46 PM EDT
heh. Oddly enough the problem turned out to be a plugin that was needed that we had installed as the user (who was an administrator), but had not installed as THE administrator.... Only took us a week or so to figure it out...

In other news, neither gentoo 2007.0 iso (i686 or amd64) will boot fully for me in qemu (one segfaults qemu during boot, the other kernel panics during boot), so I'm wondering if there's something odd with the build. Will have to try a live boot with them later.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!