PP's Site and Tux500-related blogposts

Story: An alternate view of Tux500Total Replies: 18
Author Content
flufferbeer

May 12, 2007
9:53 PM EDT
Site (penguinpetes) is http://www.penguinpetes.com/

Tux500-related blogposts list from the archives (ordered by date from the most recent to the oldest)

# Are the tux500 people really all THAT bad?

# tux500 crew caught rigging Digg - with screenshots!

# DC Parris of LXer to Linux community member: shut up!

# The Final Analysis of the Tux500 Scam

# WHY the tux500 promotion is a pump-and-dump scam

# the tux500 scam of the Linux community

# Tux500 scam - news and links history

# Is the Tux500 racecar advertizing project a scam?

tuxchick

May 12, 2007
9:59 PM EDT
How many people read pp's site? How many really care what he has to say? Despite all his foaming and ranting, the forum comments are pretty balanced overall, and there are not many of them. The more he rants the loonier he looks. I think we need to not give him attention. He's just a louder-than-usual and more-hysterical troll.

I think anyone that reads his site, then clicks the Rent-a-Coder button, needs a kind friend to lead them away and feed them a cup of hot tea. And then take away their checkbook and car keys. :)
kozmcrae

May 13, 2007
1:56 AM EDT
I think your intentions are in the right place fluff, but TC is right. People who don't know the truth from a wrecking ball crank up the only quality they have left, volume.
jdixon

May 13, 2007
6:12 AM EDT
Especially since, as noted elsewhere, the above link will not work if clicked on. Pete is blocking access from LXer.
Sander_Marechal

May 13, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
Just click the link, wait for the 403, click somewhere in your address bar and hit enter. Your browser will see a clean reload and not send a referrer, thus PP's site won't block anymore.

Another option is to simply use tinyurl's from now on for PP's posts.
jdixon

May 13, 2007
7:02 AM EDT
> Another option is to simply use tinyurl's from now on for PP's posts.

Yes, but why bother. If Pete doesn't consider LXer readers worth allowing on his site, who am I to disagree.
Sander_Marechal

May 13, 2007
7:23 AM EDT
LXer is a news site. We report the news. We shouldn't ignore stories or sites because we don't like them *COUGH*slashdot*COUGH*
jdixon

May 13, 2007
8:24 AM EDT
> LXer is a news site.

I agree that, to the extent it's news, LXer should cover what happens on Pete's site. I don't think there's any need to bother providing links. A simple explanation that links from LXer to Pete's site don't work because he's blocking them should be sufficient.

And my comment wasn't intended as a criticism of providing said links. That's an LXer editorial decision. I was asking why anybody should bother trying to bypass Pete's LXer ban. If he doesn't want me there, then his site just isn't worth the trouble.
flufferbeer

May 13, 2007
9:52 AM EDT
PenguinPete's Full Archive page is http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/full_archives.php To avoid the 403-block on LXer, it probably would be best to enter this and the top URL into separate browser tabs or browser windows. The Full Archive page has such currently-relevant topics as 'Asstroturfers coup Slashdot and Digg simultaneously' ;)

Why provide these URL's for Pete's sake ( pun intended :D ) ???

Above statements notwithstanding, there might pssibly be at least one person other than the submitter of the 'An alternate view of Tux500' post -- even on LXer and other than the above anti-PenguinPete commentators of course -- who would actually like to see alternate views of Tux500?

Just a thought.....
bigg

May 13, 2007
10:10 AM EDT
There might also be persons interested in Microsoft's Get the Facts campaign, but there are other outlets to cover that.
jdixon

May 13, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
> ...there might pssibly be at least one person...

There very well might be. However, if they read it here, Pete doesn't want them. Again, who are we to argue with him?

Added: Also, in Pete's own words: And I'd like to ask in the future that nobody here posts a link to my domain from this domain, I don't care how much you "agree".

I'd think that makes his position clear. He doesn't want LXer readers and/or editors posting links to his site. I don't see any point in not honoring his request.
hkwint

May 13, 2007
3:44 PM EDT
Well, Pitrs last post was more sensible than the last few dozens. At this moment, he doesn't assume we are THAT bad anymore, he just think we're stupid and arrogant, that's all.

Implicit, in his last blog he says he made a mistake by assuming tux500 is as scam and 'devnet' and 'helios' are two criminals. He even assumes 'devnet' and 'helios' are two _different_ persons now.

Nonetheless, he still censors comments which are critical about himself (I have a screenshot of a deleted comment). On the other hand, he started writing about Linux (non-tux500) issues again, which is a good thing.
techiem2

May 13, 2007
3:52 PM EDT
I'd say if he doesn't want us to link to him, fine. Just make sure there's a transaction log somewhere officially documenting that post so that if it "somehow" gets deleted/edited later, he can't suddenly post on his site about how those evil lxer editors are suddenly censoring him by not posting his articles.

Of course, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid....
jdixon

May 13, 2007
4:53 PM EDT
> ...he just think we're stupid and arrogant, that's all.

Well, in my case, I'd be hard pressed to argue that point, except in relative terms. Compared to Pete (at least as evidenced by his recent actions) I'm the soul of intelligence and humility, of course. But I've been known to be both thoroughly arrogant and stupid on more than one occasion.
jdixon

May 13, 2007
4:54 PM EDT
> Of course, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid....

Possibly, but then again, why take the chance.
ottawalonndon

May 15, 2007
8:00 PM EDT
And this Pete chap just does manage to keep getting under your skins time after time.
SFN

May 16, 2007
4:07 AM EDT
Quoting:this Pete chap
I'll raise the collective eyebrow.
dinotrac

May 16, 2007
5:02 AM EDT
>I agree that, to the extent it's news, LXer should cover what happens on Pete's site.

-->to the extent it's news

That is the problem. PP has now established his true character and that character has nothing to do with news. He is an unreliable source for anything, reckless in fact and feckless in opinion.

Any source requires some kind of credibility, even if that credibility is nothing more than the author's sincerity. PP has gone beyond all bounds.
dcparris

May 16, 2007
6:52 AM EDT
We sent PP an e-mail to the effect that we will honor his request to no longer post stories from his site on our newswire. That's where it stands.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!