How to draw attention

Story: Why supporting Tux500 is worth itTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
cjcox

May 16, 2007
3:22 PM EDT
2. Tux500 wont bring that much attention as the project claims.

This is another reason why some people ignore or just refuse to support the project. They don't believe that this marketing effort would really bring GNU/Linux as much attention as Ken and Bob anticipate.

But I would urge you to rethink that stance. If it really is that insignificant then why do the major brands like, for example, Coca Cola compete to put their ads on those cars?

:)

Coca Cola advertises there because they CANNOT afford not to. In a competitive market, you either grab the spot, or your competitor will. While one might argue that Linux competes with Windows (possible), I think Linux stands alone... there isn't much competition. Linux is a better Windows than Windows and a better Unix than Unix... however, Red Hat certainly competes with Novell which certainly competes with Ubuntu, etc. Red Hat, who has an almost infinite supply of cash on hand... why aren't they advertising on a car? They have money to spare. Shoot... they could place a Super Bowl ad. It's pretty obscene really.

Not saying don't do the car.... obviously some people are motivated to do this.

I can thinks of at least 1,000 ways we could use the money better that would get the Linux name out in front of people. When local LUGs have Fairs/Conferences... that gets the message out. When you have public demos in major malls or other shopping venues... that gets the message out. Shoot, even Firefox's full page ad was an easy way to get the message out.... and was probably more effective.

If this were a normal situation, you have to realize that UNLESS "our" car is in a leadership spot, it won't get seen at all by most watching the race... unless you are physically there and have really good seats.

BUT, with that said, if this effort WERE to be successful, the uniqueness (plus potential controversy) might make the news... and that's advertising Coca Cola can only dream of. And that alone might be a good enough reason to support tux500.

Sander_Marechal

May 16, 2007
3:53 PM EDT
Seeing how much coverage Tux500 got on non-Linux (or even non-tech sites) already makes it a moderate succes in my book. $13.000,- worth of succes? Not yet, but it's still a long way to Indy 500.
flufferbeer

May 16, 2007
4:11 PM EDT
> $13.000,- worth of succes? Think that you mean $13,000-worth of success (a lucky 13K!) At this rate, Tux500 should have no trouble clearing 4 percent of the intended goal at the end of the whole 41-day fundraising period -- that would be $14K or more out of $350K. 4 percent is certainly more successful than zero percent!
Sander_Marechal

May 16, 2007
4:14 PM EDT
Quoting:Think that you mean $13,000-worth of success (a lucky 13K!)

That's what I said. I'm from the other side of the pond. We use . as thousand separators and , as decimal separators. The three zeros and the minus sign (which stands for nil cents) should have given it away :-)
bigg

May 16, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
> 4 percent is certainly more successful than zero percent!

And zero percent is what you get if you combine all of the other Linux desktop marketing efforts.

> I can thinks of at least 1,000 ways we could use the money better that would get the Linux name out in front of people.

That may be true. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it is this or nothing. Nobody is doing any of those other projects.
kozmcrae

May 16, 2007
6:03 PM EDT
> I can thinks of at least 1,000 ways we could use the money better that would get the Linux name out in front of people.

There's no rule/law that says you can't. If you really can think of 1000 "better" ways you owe it to us to get started. I think it only fair though that you raise your own funds for your projects.
jezuch

May 17, 2007
4:52 AM EDT
There are no "better" ways. Just ways. See, The Zen of Linux Marketing! ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!