they will lose customers

Story: Vista Makes Creative Labs Dupe LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
maggrand

May 17, 2007
12:29 PM EDT
I did purchase all my cards from Creative Labs before. But never again. I'm a lost customer since i can't use there hardware on my Linux computer. The happy news is that there are other vendors out there. So just simple abandon them. Tell everyone how they treat there customers. And most of all purchase another soundcard. Avoid Creative Labs at any costs.
dcparris

May 17, 2007
2:30 PM EDT
I think the article was saying these drivers would be delayed. Now, one might well ask the question why the Windows development would slow the Linux development, especially in light of the fact that there have been no major changes (that I can think of) that would cause any serious problems. Seems like they would focus on getting the Linux drivers out the door and then worry about the Windows folks. ;-)
rijelkentaurus

May 17, 2007
2:51 PM EDT
Quoting: Now, one might well ask the question why the Windows development would slow the Linux development

One should ask, why don't they open up the hardware specs and let the FOSS do the engineering work for the drivers? It'd be faster and they'd work better, and CL wouldn't have to expend time and energy making it happen on their own.
dcparris

May 17, 2007
3:02 PM EDT
Well, I agree wholeheartedly with that point.
hkwint

May 18, 2007
5:13 AM EDT
Quoting:why don't they open up the hardware specs and let the FOSS do the engineering work for the drivers?

That's a very good question. One which we have to ask them indeed. I will, if I can find the time and energy to do so.
Abe

May 18, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
Quoting:That's a very good question. One which we have to ask them indeed

It doesn't benefit anything to ask them, but it might sound too silly to them though to answer it since it so obvious.

I believe they are protecting technical information they don't wish to release in the open. By keeping it hidden, They believe they are preventing competitors from getting into their clever methods and tricks in doing special features that give their products advantages over their competitors' products. Plain and simple. That doesn't mean they are right. Little they know, If a competitor needed to know how they are doing things, all they have to do is entice and hire one of their employees and they get to know not only what technics but also how to implement them.

Another reason is that the heads of driver development groups and the developers themselves at those companies are the biggest opponents who strongly contest against releasing such information. They would be afraid for their jobs since they wont be needed if FOSS developers do what they are paid to do.

It makes sense, doesn't?
tuxchick

May 18, 2007
10:24 AM EDT
Abe is right. Everyone reverse-engineers their competition. Even sillier is a lot of information is publicly available, because companies must give all sorts of product data to various government regulatory agencies, which is then available to anyone who knows where to look. A classic example is wireless network cards; for some reason vendors think that revealing specs and the chipset vendor are Terrible Bad Things. But it's all in FCC docs, which are available online. There are no secrets, just pointless paranoia.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!