Ok, How did Microsoft engineer this one?

Story: Tux500: Stephan Gregoire Suffers Broken Vertebra in CrashTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 17, 2007
4:57 PM EDT
Ok, How did Microsoft engineer this one?
Libervis

May 17, 2007
5:01 PM EDT
Huh? Microsoft can go to hell. We don't need to talk about it in every thread.

Tux500 is already a success on many levels. You just have to have the right attitude.

I really hope Gregoire gets through this fine.
rijelkentaurus

May 17, 2007
5:06 PM EDT
Quoting: Tux500 is already a success on many levels.

IMO, it's a fabulous success. The whole point was to generate buzz and news stories, and it's been accomplished. Obviously we want the car in the race (and to win!), but I'm happy to have given my $$ even if nothing else happens. I say kudos to Ken, etc.
vainrveenr

May 17, 2007
5:46 PM EDT
No matter even if the blog of the evil He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named draws his own negative conclusions from Stephan's injury in his post 'Tux500 Crash!'

Another point of Tux500's success is that the project has netted well over 10K to date. This number reminds me of the infamous 10K _running_ races carried out all over the place this time of year --- as opposed to _car_ races such as the Indy500.
helios

May 17, 2007
6:41 PM EDT
Hey...Listen, I know Bob and I know he didn't mean anything by it. I myself am guilty of an insensitive remark when I started a thread implying that now we know he is ok, I hope it was on national television. Well, as time passed, it has come to light that Stephan's back is broken. I am going to personally vouch for Bob Robertson and in doing so assure you he meant nothing mean spirited.

Now, that does not seem to apply to some other people or websites. While some things that are less than kind were posted by many prior to hearing of Stephan's injury, most of them have been retracted, apologized for or removed.

All except for one.

h
bigg

May 17, 2007
7:07 PM EDT
Honestly, the main thing is that Stephan is going to be okay. I will pray for his recovery.

I'm not going to comment now on that "one".
tracyanne

May 17, 2007
11:48 PM EDT
I hope Stephan will be OK, a back injury is always a bit of a worry.
Aladdin_Sane

May 18, 2007
9:04 AM EDT
> ...a back injury is always a bit of a worry.

I feel a wince just thinking about it. I wish him and Chastain well in the future.

> Ok, How did Microsoft engineer this one?

LOL

Hey, does MS even sponsor a car at all?

Windows would crack my TV.
Bob_Robertson

May 18, 2007
10:29 AM EDT
The human body seems to heal most injuries pretty well, but there is something about a back injury that never seems to heal right. If I believed in the gods, he'd have my nightly prayers for a complete recovery no matter how long it took. Forget the car, this is a human being.

> LOL Thank you, I'm glad someone got the joke. Since Ron Paul is doing well in the debates, if any "accident" were to happen to him I'd be looking for shooters on the grassy knoll right away.

Sometimes an accident is just an accident.
helios

May 18, 2007
10:57 AM EDT
Sometimes an accident is just an accident.....

They don't refer to cross-track wind as "Satan's breath" for nothing.

It's something akin to wind shear. Pilots refer to it a bit differently:

^*#*#&^@@)@_
jdixon

May 18, 2007
3:52 PM EDT
> They don't refer to cross-track wind as "Satan's breath" for nothing.

So, was Bill Gates at the race track then? :)
NoDough

May 18, 2007
6:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Hey, does MS even sponsor a car at all?
I was watching for about 1/2 hour last weekend. When they zoomed into a driver on pit row, there it was. "Microsoft" plastered on his car right below the cockpit. However, it wasn't large enough to see from afar. I never got a look at the side of the car from a distance, so I don't know if they bought a bigger sticker or not.
bundy

May 19, 2007
6:23 AM EDT
Microsoft is one of numerous associate sponsors on the Target Indy Car team with drivers Dan Wheldon, former Indy 500 winner, and Scott Dixon, former Indy Car Series champion. These associate sponsors pay a sponsorship fee to be involved. The widely held belief is that, in return, they get special access and benefits from Target presumably not extended to other vendors who do not help support the racing team.

I assume these associate sponsors just view this as a justifiable business expense of preserving a valuable customer relationship with a major retail account. This is just one of the things Linux is up against in a consumer world dominated by Microsoft.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!