Great Opportunity

Story: Linux-powered OLPC on "60 Minutes" May 20Total Replies: 9
Author Content
Abe

May 19, 2007
10:10 AM EDT
It is a great opportunity to promote Linux on a widely popular TV show. Let's hope that Negroponte does mention the engine behind this wonderful little tool. May be Red Hat already mentioned that to him.

Any one knows someone at PBS or NPR? I know they get lots of donations from Gates foundation but they are always fair and have good technology and science shows. I am surprised they haven't made a special about FOSS and Linux yet. I am going to send them a letter or feedback on their web site.

kozmcrae

May 19, 2007
10:57 AM EDT
It's not the interviewer who controls what is heard, it's the editor. Negroponte could mention Linux 20 times and Microsoft once, and if all the editor wanted you to hear was Microsoft then that's all you would hear. We'll see just how friendly CBS is toward Linux or maybe just how influenced they are by Microsoft. Let's hope they have an open mind and are free to express it.
alc

May 19, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
There was a story in my local paper today.Linux got one line. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/orl-laptop1907... One line is a start.
kozmcrae

May 19, 2007
12:05 PM EDT
I believe those stories that mention Linux in small local papers are more important then the one's in the New York Times. Thanks for making my day.
moopst

May 19, 2007
6:08 PM EDT
...if all the editor wanted you to hear was Microsoft then that's all you would hear.

====

Also, if all the editor wanted you to see was Linux on that tiny display on the OLPC most people would conclude that Linux lacks a rich GUI. That would be a pity.
devnet

May 19, 2007
7:04 PM EDT
Linux has been hitting the press quite a bit lately...it's a good thing :)
NoDough

May 19, 2007
7:24 PM EDT
Quoting:...PBS or NPR... ...they are always fair...

*cough* http://freethefilm.net *cough*
Abe

May 20, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
Quoting:*cough* [HYPERLINK@freethefilm.net] *cough*

OK, I should have said "almost always fair or mostly fair"

I looked at the link you supplied and didn't see much info. Then I looked at the Dallas News "Opinion" and, in my opinion, it seemed to be very biased.

I don't agree with PBS not airing the film, but I am sure they must have a reason or excuse. The "Opinion" said that PBS thought the film is "alarmist," "unfair" and "irresponsible.". May be that is true may be not but personally, I believe PBS is a responsible organization. May be they didn't see a balanced selection of people the producers were expected to make and PBS is thinking about making their own commentary as an addendum or planning to interview other people to get both sides of the story. I personally don't see any problem with that.

Having said that, I personally rather not discuss this subject any further since it is a touchy issue and mostly because it is not the topic of this thread.

NoDough

May 20, 2007
3:17 PM EDT
To be fair, the context of your earlier comment was technological reporting. In that regard I agree that PBS and NPR have been fair. (At least, what I have seen of it has been.) I considered not replying with my comment because of that.

However, upon re-reading the sentence as a stand-alone statement, I decided the reply was relevant.

I agree, though, that it should not be pursued as a thread topic.
alc

May 20, 2007
4:24 PM EDT
I didn't hear anything about Linux,but at the very end they did say that the market could be for 1 billion kids.Imagine 1 billion kids all growing up with Linux.Now that is something that MS will be concerned about.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!