Validate this?

Story: Microsoft Supports Rival Office Document FormatTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
devnet

May 19, 2007
3:48 PM EDT
Are there any Links to support this?

I'm finding nothing on MS's website...and this is the only reference to this news I've seen.
tracyanne

May 19, 2007
4:01 PM EDT
Quoting:"We have listened to our customers, and they have told us they want choice, they want interoperability, they want innovation," said Tom Robertson, general manager for Interoperability and Standards at Microsoft, in a press release. "The American National Standards list does not include a number of document format standards in wide use today, such as PDF, .DOC, RTF and HTML. The inclusion of ODF is just the beginning; we expect the list will grow in the future to reflect the choices customers already have in today's marketplace."

It's interesting to note the way in which Microsoft twist the desire for choice and interoperability to mean choosing between Microsoft's free in name only standard and a genuinely free standard, when in reality people want a free and ubiquitous standard that can be relied on to always be free, and choice of what platform or application they will use that standard on.
jezuch

May 19, 2007
4:13 PM EDT
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?stor...

It was on Lxer yesterday :) (or two days ago... screw those time zones!)
bigg

May 19, 2007
4:18 PM EDT
When you're not a monopolist, it's amazing how things change. They will do a good job of working with other companies until they are able to leverage their OS monopoly to lock you in. They're just hoping that if they play nice for a few months, the political winds will change, and they can get governments to give up on their hopes of using open formats.
devnet

May 19, 2007
7:01 PM EDT
jezuch,

thanks...I missed that.

Of course, I've been working hard lately and haven't been at my normal PC (dialup access remotely :( )
Sander_Marechal

May 20, 2007
12:00 AM EDT
There was a nice explanation on Groklaw about this. Basically, MS is sending a signal to IBM and other ODF alliance companies: "We're supporting your standard without a fuss. Now you support ours". It basically wants to discourage people from commenting on the ISO draft and stop negative votes in the ISO and ANSI committees. All under the guise of "choice is good".

Choice of application and implementation is good. Choice of standard is not. Imagine having two standards for powersockets in your country, and everytime you bought something you'd have to make sure the powerplug matched whatever socket type you have in your house.

It never stops amazing me how MS can spin a bad thing to sound good. Then again, it's a marketing company so it should be expected.
dinotrac

May 20, 2007
5:08 AM EDT
>"We're supporting your standard without a fuss. Now you support ours".

I think that's close, but not quite on the money.

When you don't have the votes to beat something, you have to look at the next battle. Microsoft's dissenting vote wouldn't change the outcome, so they voted to accept.

Now, when they lobby legislators or make public pitches, they can highlight their support of free and open standards -- including those of competitors. People opposing OOXML will look unreasonable by comparison.

dcparris

May 20, 2007
8:08 AM EDT
I really, really, really hate to admit this - especially publicly - but dino is a pretty smart guy. Sometimes. ;-)
hkwint

May 20, 2007
1:12 PM EDT
Hey, Sander, you just unveiled Microsoft's secret plan: Choice of 100+ power sockets, but only Microsoft computers being able to be plugged in. In Microsoft words: Choice is good!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!