Just curious

Story: Can Dell Fix Their Google Ad Campaign?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
bigg

May 20, 2007
7:23 PM EDT
I don't know how the Google ads work. Does LXer get money if we click on one of the fraudulent "Dell Linux Desktop" ads? Does Dell pay every time someone clicks on the ad?
Scott_Ruecker

May 20, 2007
7:53 PM EDT
LXer technically gets paid no matter what ad is displayed, "fraudulent" or not, but considering that we average less than half a dozen clicks a month, its not much. :-)

Scott
dcparris

May 20, 2007
9:18 PM EDT
LXer gets paid AND Dell has to pay more money if more people are clicking on them. Iow, the more people who click the misleading links, the more they stay in the spotlight, thus the more money Dell has to pay. So Dell gets to pay big bucks for the privilege of being called the "bad guy". And yes, when people click on the ads, LXer gets paid. But Scott is right - there is a reason why I'm not a full-time editor yet. And no, Scott isn't being facetious, either. He's dead on the money. Well, it might be up to nearly 10 this month, what with everyone's curiosity being aroused and all. ;-)
Sander_Marechal

May 20, 2007
10:20 PM EDT
Probably superfluous but just to be sure: If anyone thinks about clicking on the ads just because it costs Dell money and benefits LXer, think again. Google is pretty good at detecting click fraud, and with a thread like this lurking around they would have no qualms about disabling LXer's AdSense account.
jezuch

May 21, 2007
2:03 AM EDT
Quoting:Google is pretty good at detecting click fraud,

Definitely much better at that than Digg...

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
bigg

May 21, 2007
6:07 AM EDT
It may have been obvious to everyone else, but it dawned on me yesterday, upon seeing one of those ads, just what a strange set of incentives exist in the Google ad program. Google gets more money if they are dishonest in the right way and website owners get paid to keep their mouth shut.

As for click fraud, I'd rather pay a couple of bucks a month to not see any ads. It would sure have a lower opportunity cost than trying to outsmart Google.
azerthoth

May 21, 2007
6:17 AM EDT
Ad Block Plus, if your using Firefox. I see no ads at all and it hasn't noticeably messed with page formating in the 3 months I have been using it.
bigg

May 21, 2007
6:30 AM EDT
Thanks, I'll try that. I tried blocking ads a long time ago and the pages were in pretty rough shape.
Bob_Robertson

May 21, 2007
6:42 AM EDT
I use the Hosts File Project http://hostsfile.mine.nu

I don't deliberately ad-block, but taking these ads-only sites out has sped up browsing considerably. I've added several, and removed a few, but overall been very satisfied with the results.

When a site puts the ad _inline_, I still see it, but if they're that concerned I don't mind.
Sander_Marechal

May 21, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
Chalk up another vote for AdBlock Plus. Also make sure you install the filterset.g updater (also available as a firefox addon). That way your adblock blacklist is automatically updated. I've been surfing ad-free for over a year now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!