And VMware is free.

Story: Linspire & Parallels to Expand Desktop Linux VirtualizationTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jdixon

May 21, 2007
1:28 PM EDT
> Parallels Workstation is available immediately to Linspire and Freespire users for $49.99

With both Player and Server being free downloads from VMware, I don't see Parallels being all that popular among Linux users.

Added: And, of course Xen is both free and Free.
herzeleid

May 21, 2007
2:31 PM EDT
Yes, xen is free, but I could never figure out how to make it work - but I have heard from others who got farther down the road than me that my nvidia OpengGL drivers are out of the question. Ouch, no quake for me. hmm, not such a great solution I think.

vmware player is OK, but if parallels works well and lets me do some things that aren't so easy with some of the other solutions, I'll pay for it.

More choices are always good.
Sander_Marechal

May 21, 2007
2:50 PM EDT
Quoting:More choices are always good.

Choice of standards isn't good. Sorry, couldn't resist :-) But it's generalizations like that which gives MS the opportunity to peddle the cr@p they throw at ISO now.

Now I'll shut up again before I thoroughly derail this topic ;-)
herzeleid

May 21, 2007
2:57 PM EDT
Quoting:Choice of standards isn't good.
I agree about the ms ooxml nonsense, FWIW - but to me these are two clearly differentiated subjects, ooxml and the choices linux users have for virtualization.
thenixedreport

May 22, 2007
1:29 AM EDT
There's also VirtualBox as well, and it's free as in beer, and their OSE is free as in beer and freedom.
jdixon

May 22, 2007
5:44 AM EDT
> Yes, xen is free, but I could never figure out how to make it work

I've never even tried. VMware meets my needs.

> my nvidia OpengGL drivers are out of the question.

Hmm, I thought one of the advantages of Xen was that it could give direct access to the hardware in specific circumstances. Oh well, see above. :)

> More choices are always good.

As a general rule, and in this specific case, yes. Parallels undoubtedly offers options that neither VMware nor the free equivalents have. Given the competition, I still don't expect it to be very popular though.

Added: There are a number of additional commercial and open alternatives. In addition to VirtualBox mentioned above, there's OpenVZ and a hosts of others.
azerthoth

May 22, 2007
6:19 AM EDT
I dont know about the others having only used VMware on windoze boxes. QEMU though lets you use overlay files, that leaves your main image untouched while you make whatever changes you want. If you blow it up then you wipe the overlay and your original image is safe and sound.
Egon_Spengler

May 22, 2007
7:11 AM EDT
Oh, look! Lindows to the rescue of the poor, unwashed, confused GNU/Linux masses once again in their own inimitable idiom.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!