And here are the requirements

Story: H&R Block Embraces Benefits of Open SourceTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
bigg

May 23, 2007
5:55 AM EDT
From the H&R Block website, note the requirements for using TaxCut. Not only do they not support Linux, they also don't even mention support for Firefox. I always like it when an open source-using company does their best to support the Windows monopoly.

Operating System: Win: 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista Pentium or Pentium 90 MHz-compatible processor (133 MHz or higher recommended) Mac: OS X (10.3.9 or newer)

Memory: Win: 32 MB RAM (64 recommended) for Windows 98/Me 64 MB RAM (128 recommended) for Windows 2000/XP Mac: 128 MB RAM for OS X 10.3.9 256 MB RAM for OS X 10.4.x

Browser: Win: Internet Explorer 6.0 Mac: Safari 1.3.2 Hard-Disk Space: 170 MB for TaxCut

CD-ROM Drive: 2X CD-ROM drive (4X recommended)

Monitor and Mouse: 800 x 600, SVGA Color Monitor (minimum 256 colors) Printer: Compatible Ink Jet or Laser Internet Connection Required Speakers and Sound Card for Videos/Flash Animations
SamShazaam

May 23, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
A couple of years ago I had a bad experience using the H&R Block website. After doing my taxes and paying my money they refused to give me my return until I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader for the pdf file. I have several problems with this.

1) I never gave them permission to inspect my computer to see what programs are in it. 2) I already have several programs which can read pdf files. Why am I mandated to use Adobe? 3) Why can I not have what I paid for until I accept this program?

My complaints fell on deaf ears. I have no intention of using H&R again unless there is a big change in attitude there. I advise everyone to avoid them.
tracyanne

May 23, 2007
5:01 PM EDT
The online tax application runs from a an IIS 6 Server and the pages are .aspx

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!