typical FUD

Story: Study: Developers Do Not Want GPL 3 to Police PatentsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
jrm

May 24, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
They sent out 354 e-mails. 34 people responded.

"But sometimes, you need to point out that this may in fact be the majority opinion." Fair enough. If they ever have any actual facts that might support that position, they should let us know.

softwarejanitor

May 24, 2007
11:35 AM EDT
354 is a ludicrously small number, and a ten percent response rate is weak. That is probably less than 1% of developers... Which is statistical noise. That doesn't give me any kind of impression it is likely to reflect a majority opinion of anything.
jrm

May 24, 2007
6:46 PM EDT
I downloaded and read the actual study. It's ridiculous. For example, the author divides the 34 respondents into 3 groups, and he refers to "exactly half of Group 3". The problem is that Group 3 consisted of 7 respondents, so half would be 3.5. He asks questions that help him arrive at predetermined results, and then he misinterprets the answers.

It is so biased that I'm going to skip the niceties and conduct my own study. I interviewed one person. (Myself.) 100% of me thinks that the study indicates the following...

MS wants your code. They're scared to death of the GPLv3, and they want everyone to use the BSD license so that they can absorb whatever code they want. And their new buzzword is "interoperability". The GPLv3 "reduces interoperability". (Anybody else remember hearing that word recently?)
bigg

May 24, 2007
7:09 PM EDT
One question: why would anyone that matters to the GPL care about a Microsoft funded study?
jrm

May 25, 2007
4:18 AM EDT
> why would anyone that matters to the GPL care about a Microsoft funded study?

Obviously, I wouldn't know.

I do think it helps to understand their strategy. It's a variation of their old strategy. (Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!