Too late for me, but I wish Dell well

Story: Is Ubuntu Linux for You, Too?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
softwarejanitor

May 24, 2007
11:47 AM EDT
I just bought a new laptop recently and have (K)ubuntu 7.04 on it... It is a "white box" chassis made by Micro Star and assembled to my specs. I looked at the pre-configured laptops (HP, etc) and couldn't find one that I liked. Hardware configurations I liked only came with Windows and ones available without Windows either had the wrong processor or video chipset (I wanted an AMD processor and nVidia graphics). So far I've been very happy with it although the place I ordered it from didn't know much about Linux and couldn't figure out how to make Fedora install on it so I ended up getting it with no OS installed. Just about everything worked out of the box with Ubuntu though and it didn't take much to get the nVidia drivers and other stuff installed. A few minutes on the Ubuntu wiki/forums and everything was good to go and this was my first experience with Ubuntu. In the past I've used a number of other distros starting with Slackware 1.01 back in 1993 and including Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake/Mandriva and a number of others.

At any rate, I am hoping that Dell customers will find Ubuntu as pleasant as I have so far.
Aladdin_Sane

May 24, 2007
1:14 PM EDT
"Honesty"

You got less in terms of support. But you should only care if you do not know the vagaries of diagnostics.

For example, a pendulously slow, fat OS can cause a modem to appear to fail, when in reality a faster OS would drive the modem just fine.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!