re: [Not directly Open Source related but still of interest]

Story: Sun Microsystems Powers the First Productivity Suite in the SkyTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
schestowitz

May 30, 2007
2:21 AM EDT
It's apparently Linux in this case. See:

StarOffice, Linux fly high on Singapore Airlines

,----[ Quote ] | Singapore Airlines is offering access to Sun's StarOffice 8 office | productivity suite free of charge to passengers on its new Boeing | 777-300ER aircraft. StarOffice, Sun's proprietary version of | OpenOffice.org, runs on the aircraft's Linux server and is accessed | via a seat-back terminal at each passenger's seat, according to Sun. `----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2964256534.html

Scott_Ruecker

May 30, 2007
4:29 AM EDT
I guess your right, it is directly related...

:-)
tuxchick

May 30, 2007
11:05 AM EDT
Soooo...where is the source code? Not one mention of it on their site. I am buried under deadlines- would some nice but stern LXer person contact them and ask them where is the source code?

If they try to weasel with "it's in a sekkrit place for customers" that is a violation of the GPL. It must be available to anyone.
dcparris

May 30, 2007
11:21 AM EDT
Carla, it looks to me like the Linux server hosts the StarOffice app. Users simply use a terminal to connect to the on-board server. The airline has all the source code they need. Users probably won't be allowed access to the server beyond using the apps. Aside from the fact that it might be cool to modify some code during your flight, I really can't imagine what users will gain from having access to the source - especially for a service.
tuxchick

May 30, 2007
11:31 AM EDT
There is something weird going on here. I was posting my comment to the Yoggie story, which I can't even find now.
Sander_Marechal

May 30, 2007
11:53 AM EDT
@tuxchick: It happens more other. There's a weird bug somewhere in the LXer codebase.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!