Wikipedia with content for schools launched

Story: Wikipedia with content for schools launchedTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
pogson

May 30, 2007
12:05 PM EDT
This is a great idea. I downloaded the whole wikipedia backup a few years ago and it took weeks to clean it up. That was a gigabyte of text and I had to chase down lots of threads that were inappropriate for kids and i found about 100 images that had to go. The wikipedia is many times larger today, so some cutting is important. This thing looks very small by comparison but it will be useful.
Sander_Marechal

May 30, 2007
12:37 PM EDT
A quick browse around schools-wikipedia shows that the articles are chosen somewhat arbitrary/unbalanced though. A big article about Spheres but no other basic mathematical shapes? An IT article about AJAX but not web programming in general? HTTP cookies but no HTTP? A detailed overview of the X protocol, but no SMTP? FTP?

I'm biased ti IT subjects here, but e.g. Economics shows the same imbalance.

Still a good resource though.
mbaehrlxer

May 31, 2007
1:12 AM EDT
i missed an article on object oriented programming, which, i thought; is the most popular programming paradigm used today.

on the other hand, one needs to consider that it is a lot of work to clean up all articles. maybe those just didn't get done in time.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!