How to Launch KMail in Off-Line Mode?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
dcparris

Jun 08, 2007
5:38 PM EDT
I'm running Debian Etch with KDE, and using Kontact as my PIM. Occasionally, I may need to launch Kontact with KMail in Off-Line mode. Currently, the only way I know to accomplish that is by launching Kontact, switch to KMail, and choose File --> Work Off-Line. There surely has to be a way to launch Kontact with an off-line option. Yes, I did check the Kontact documentation, but found no such option.

Most of the time, I launch Kontact and expect it to check my e-mail automatically. I could set it to not do that, but I only need it to stay in off-line mode when I'm not connected to the Internet. Any gurus know of a command-line option to force KMail into off-line mode at launch?

Thanks, Don
Aladdin_Sane

Jun 08, 2007
7:20 PM EDT
Are you using version 1.9.7? I see:

"Some of the new features in this release of KMail include (compared to KMail 1.8, which is part of KDE 3.4): *Full namespace support for IMAP *Offline mode..."

You've already mentioned the 2 options I see to configure: They are arbitrary, not conditional on online state that I can see. :-(.

Thing is, you want it offline only on the condition you are not connected at start. I guess this is asking a bit much of a GUI app.

I just tell Thunderbird to never check, except manually when I say to. I also use gkrellm to alert me when mail is waiting, though there are many so-called "biff" applications in Debian that can do that.

I also see this:

[#>kmail --help Usage: kmail [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] [address|URL]

KDE Email Client ...

Options: -s, --subject Set subject of message -c, --cc Send CC: to 'address' -b, --bcc Send BCC: to 'address' -h, --header Add 'header' to message --msg Read message body from 'file' --body Set body of message --attach Add an attachment to the mail. This can be repeated --check Only check for new mail --composer Only open composer window --view View the given message file

Arguments: address|URL Send message to 'address' resp. attach the file the 'URL' points to

Might something in there be what you want it to do? Like "Only open compose window"?

I like KDE but the user docs have always seemed lacking. In my experience in general, this means the developer docs probably have the real info.

You cannot post until you login.