Item has been reposted to Shuttleworth's blog

Story: Mark Shuttleworth on Ubuntu and Microsoft -- he's not signing nothingTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
dthacker

Jun 16, 2007
11:40 AM EDT
Mark pulled this out of the comments and re-posted it in his blog today. http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/127

Dave
tracyanne

Jun 16, 2007
2:04 PM EDT
Ok I may be wrong, dead wrong, about Ubuntu.

I think this is interesting and states the case against "Open" XML rather eloquently.

Quoting:With regard to open standards on document formats, I have no confidence in Microsoft’s OpenXML specification to deliver a vibrant, competitive and healthy market of multiple implementations. I don’t believe that the specifications are good enough, nor that Microsoft will hold itself to the specification when it does not suit the company to do so. There is currently one implementation of the specification, and as far as I’m aware, Microsoft hasn’t even certified that their own Office12 completely implements OpenXML, or that OpenXML completely defines Office12’s behavior. The Open Document Format (ODF) specification is a much better, much cleaner and widely implemented specification that is already a global standard. I would invite Microsoft to participate in the OASIS Open Document Format working group, and to ensure that the existing import and export filters for Office12 to Open Document Format are improved and available as a standard option. Microsoft is already, I think, a member of OASIS. This would be a far more constructive open standard approach than OpenXML, which is merely a vague codification of current practice by one vendor.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!