XPLin

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
maly

Jun 18, 2007
7:52 AM EDT
Im noob i have questions to do with Wine/Linux (they was no WineHQ forums)

How can i stop either WIne or Linux preventing memory injecting into an application i find it very annoying and this is why i wont switch to linux untill they solve it or if its security why not have an option if you want to allow this or not

do i have to have an application to disable this in wine/linux? do i need to do some codingor edit? do i need to use any other application that allows a windows environment in a linux? what version/name of linux should i use?
bigg

Jun 18, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
@maly: I'm not sure about your question (don't use Wine much) but I notice that you have another problem that's not specific to your OS. Your shift key is broken. It's probably cheapest to run to a local retailer and pick up a new keyboard.
maly

Jun 18, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
its question only answer unless you know anything :D
jdixon

Jun 18, 2007
8:42 AM EDT
> How can i stop either WIne or Linux preventing memory injecting into an application...

Remove Wine. Wine attempts to implement the Windows API's. The Windows API's are designed to do things like that. It's a feature, not a bug.

If Linux is injecting memory into an application (assuming I understand your meaning), then you've probably discovered a kernel bug.

In general, the best place to ask such questions is probably http://www.linuxquestions.org/

While we try to be helpful here, this is primarily a news and commentary site.
Penguin_Pete

Jun 18, 2007
9:58 AM EDT
I'll be darned. Tux500 *did* bring us a new user! Shouldn't you guys be taking better care of him?
dinotrac

Jun 18, 2007
10:11 AM EDT
Where the heck was that "No shoes, no shirt, no sense, no service" sign?
jdixon

Jun 18, 2007
10:26 AM EDT
> I'll be darned. Tux500 *did* bring us a new user!

Oh, it's us now is it Pete? I don't recall your being so inclusive in the recent past. However, better late than never.
DarrenR114

Jun 18, 2007
10:55 AM EDT
Pete, if you feel so strongly, why don't you message maly with the answers to his questions.

If "maly" was really a "noob" - then why didn't he look through the Wine HQ User Guide over at http://winehq.org , followed by the FAQ, followed by either a visit to the Wine Wiki, or the Wine Bugzilla. http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index http://bugs.winehq.org/ http://www.winehq.org/site/forums

Curiously enough, I found that last link in the User Guide (which is prominently linked from the main Wine HQ page,) under section 1.1.2 - Further questions and comments. So when "maly" says that there aren't any forums over at WineHQ, it doesn't look like he looked closely enough.

Something smells fishy, and I don't think it's Tux's herring.

Edited - Just for grins and giggles, I did a google search on "Linux Wine" and on "Wine Linux" and LXer.com did NOT appear on the first page of links. How in the world did this maly poster find his way to LXer.com through Wine?
tuxchick

Jun 18, 2007
3:12 PM EDT
You people are so suspicious- chill, already. Our sheer raw steaming giant pile o charisma draws people in. It's so obvious!
dcparris

Jun 18, 2007
3:29 PM EDT
What TC said. Maly may have been lurking for months - who knows? Of course, he doesn't mention Tux500, so Pete could be completely off track - unless he knows more than he is letting on.

And we do try to help people here to the extent that we can. Sometimes that means pointing them to better resources than we have to offer. There's nothing mean about that, though it can be presented with the wrong attitude.
jdixon

Jun 18, 2007
4:19 PM EDT
> Our sheer raw steaming giant pile o charisma draws people in. It's so obvious!

I thought that was a given, TC. :)

> ...though it can be presented with the wrong attitude.

I hope that wasn't aimed at me Don, I thought I was fairly polite, given that it took some doing to make sense of his question.
dcparris

Jun 18, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
jdixon: I didn't aim it at anyone; it was just a general observation. And I agree that shoe doesn't fit you very well. You were definitely polite.
jdixon

Jun 18, 2007
4:35 PM EDT
> You were definitely polite.

OK. If I'm ever out of line, feel free to let fly. I just didn't think I was in this case.
azerthoth

Jun 18, 2007
4:40 PM EDT
Shoulda read the post I was going to make and thought better of after I re-read it.

It always amazes me how many times I do that. Spend 5 or 10 minutes writing out a post (this one was more directed at the fount of Pee Pee) then decide that what I'm thinking is probably best left unsaid.
dcparris

Jun 18, 2007
4:48 PM EDT
Oh, I've done that more than once, myself! :-)
kozmcrae

Jun 18, 2007
4:48 PM EDT
@aserthoth Well then, you're not speaking for me as well.
Abe

Jun 18, 2007
4:55 PM EDT
Don,

I purposely stayed out of it. Aren't you glad I did?!

If you insist, let me know, I will be glad to give my opinion and wont be my fault.

On 2nd thought, I think you already know it. lol.

Any way, this pee pee guy is something else.

tracyanne

Jun 18, 2007
5:54 PM EDT
Quoting:Any way, this pee pee guy is something else.

No he's just a Galah.

You cannot post until you login.