the day dell refused to sell a computer

Story: Pressure mounts on Dell over Linux PCsTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
henke54

Jun 19, 2007
9:32 PM EDT
Quoting:I had a surreal experience with Dell today.

My boss asked me to order a new computer for our small, non-profit business. Wanting to support Dell in their decision to sell computers with Ubuntu installed, I decided to order one.

First, I talked to a small business representative, who informed me that I could not order one of the Ubuntu-based computers through the small business department. I had to go through the "home and home office" department.

I called the Home office department. I asked the representative if I could buy one of the ubuntu computers for my company. She said (and I quote), "these Dell computers are designed for personal use only, as long as you use it for personal use, you can purchase one."

So I lied and said I would....

Next, I tried to buy it on our business credit card. They would have none of that. She told me that I had to buy it through a personal card. Now, as a non-proft, our business does not pay sales tax (10% in Tennessee). Had I bought it with my own card, I would have had to pay tax (~$90), which my company would not have reimbursed me for. So.....no Dell today.

I really wanted to support Dell and I am just blown away that they would REFUSE MY MONEY because I was buying it to use for a business. What company goes around telling its customers how they can use their products? What business model does that fall under?

More importantly, are they really supporting Ubuntu and Linux? They didn't seem too supportive to me.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=478975
Sander_Marechal

Jun 19, 2007
9:43 PM EDT
Posted to the news queue. Henke, please post stories like this to the queue instead of the forums. The queue is starving from a lack of news during the summer!
dinotrac

Jun 20, 2007
2:51 AM EDT
>I really wanted to support Dell and I am just blown away that they would REFUSE MY MONEY because I was buying it to use for a business.

Too weird for words. I can't even come up with any reasonable business rationale for that short of making sure the right division gets credit for the sale...except that...no sale ends up being made.

Stupid is as stupid does - or doesn't do.
montezuma

Jun 20, 2007
5:28 AM EDT
Sounds like big company bureaucratic rigidity. Also sounds like the Ubuntu thing is a publicity thing for Dell rather than serious business...
dinotrac

Jun 20, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
>Sounds like big company bureaucratic rigidity. Also sounds like the Ubuntu thing is a publicity thing for Dell rather than serious business...

I think A is right and B is wrong. People are able to order Ubuntu desktops and it's not all that hard to do. Getting that to work for a corporate behemoth like Dell is no small thing.

But... Somebody's got to snatch away the stupid pills from those Dell workers.
tuxchick

Jun 20, 2007
7:46 AM EDT
Sounds like hooey to me. What happened to all that healthy LXer skepticism? I bet we all know people who buy Dell for their workplaces and they buy from whatever category gets them the best deal. The Dell droids don't care if their purpose is to use them as boat anchors or for target practice, or to possibly even perform acts of computing. Granted, this could be an isolated incident of an exceptionally clueless Dell droid, but come on- this alleged customer didn't demand to speak to a supervisor? Feh.
dinotrac

Jun 20, 2007
8:05 AM EDT
TC -

Yeah. I can sort of imagine a low-on-the-totem-pole worker, new to the job, cleaving to the rules a little too tightly. I can't imagine Dell having a policy of actually refusing money.
jdixon

Jun 20, 2007
8:05 AM EDT
> Sounds like hooey to me.

Well, one thing didn't sound right to me. At one time, Dell did not charge sales tax unless you were ordering from Texas. However, I just checked, and when I priced a system and asked them to calculate shipping and tax, they charged me sales tax. I have no idea why they're charging sales tax, but given a choice I don't deal with out of state companies which charge sales tax. If I want to pay sales tax I'll pick up my Dell at the local Walmart.
NoDough

Jun 20, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
Quoting:...they charged me sales tax.

In the U.S., they are required to charge sales tax in every state in which they have a business presence. That means if they have a kiosk in a mall in your state, they have to charge you sales tax.
kozmcrae

Jun 20, 2007
8:41 AM EDT
>...or to possibly even perform acts of computing.

By the Flying Binary Bros. no doubt.
jdixon

Jun 20, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
> they are required to charge sales tax in every state in which they have a business presence.

I'm aware of that. AFAIK, Dell has no business presence in WV (I could be wrong of course, it wouldn't be the first time). If they do, it's been established sometime in the past 3 years, as I know of at least one person who bought from them in that time frame and was not charged sales tax.

Added:

In any case, it still makes sense for me to get it at Walmart if I'm paying the sales tax anyway. Walmart has a satisfaction guarantee and a returns policy.
NoDough

Jun 20, 2007
9:10 AM EDT
West Virginia! Now that's a different story. I did specify in the U.S. ;^)

In WV it's probably known as the Honorary Robert C. Byrd Tax Act.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 20, 2007
9:13 AM EDT
jdixon:

Probably a kiosk in a mall somewhere, lol. I think that counts, but I ain't no accountant or lawyer. :)
jdixon

Jun 20, 2007
9:15 AM EDT
> In WV it's probably known as the Honorary Robert C. Byrd Tax Act.

Well everything else around here seems to be named for either him or Mollohan, so there's precedent. I'd vote for making it illegal to name anything after a politician till after they were dead.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 20, 2007
11:46 AM EDT
" illegal to name anything after a politician till after they were dead."

We need more Statesmen.
dcparris

Jun 20, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
My old high school was combined with another to form Robert C. Byrd High School. It's interesting they built the new school while the wagon trails in the Southern part of that county are practically overrun by brush. State Road never did have a very good reputation. With any luck, the kids will be smart enough to avoid living along the wagon trails.

And if someone on this site knows about Duck Creek Road in Harrison County, I'll croak.
jdixon

Jun 20, 2007
4:06 PM EDT
> And if someone on this site knows about Duck Creek Road in Harrison County, I'll croak.

You mean the one this park:

http://www.watterssmithstatepark.com/location.html

is on. Of course, I don't count. I live in Mannington, after all. So I even know where Wyatt, Peora, and Joetown are. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!