Ummm....Yes.

Story: Bad, Bad Reasons Not to Buy Open-Source SoftwareTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
dinotrac

Jun 21, 2007
8:12 AM EDT
This being SJVN, I'm sure somebody's going to come up with something unfriendly to say, but...

Yes. Absolutely. Can't argue with you at all.
tuxchick

Jun 21, 2007
8:23 AM EDT
But dino! He left out the Important Reasons! Like how being a member of the Leet Geek Club gets you a cool secret handshake, a pre-ripped pre-stained T-shirt, and a 17" MacBook Pro running Gentoo Linux in text mode. X.org isn't even installed.

Oh yes, and it is a good article.
montezuma

Jun 21, 2007
8:40 AM EDT
In the original article (to which SJVN is railing against) it said: "Microsoft.Net Creates End-to-End Framework That Offers Lower TCO"

From my experience whenever I see the phrase "End-to-End" I am immediately deeply suspicious. This meaningless buzzword really irritates me for some reason. Anyone using it is usually a donkey.
dinotrac

Jun 21, 2007
8:43 AM EDT
Well, TC, you scurrilous chick-thing, I knew I could count on you to erect a straw man, douse it with gasoline, and then watch public television while wearing a tin-foil hat underneath your polyethene pyramid as you stroked your crystals.

Wait...the coffee's wearing off...yeah...oh, that's better.

Yup...it is a good article.
dinotrac

Jun 21, 2007
8:44 AM EDT
>Anyone using it is usually a donkey.

Hardly. Donkeys are good honest beasts of burden. A little contankerous perhaps, but very useful in their way and their day.
softwarejanitor

Jun 21, 2007
9:25 AM EDT
Has to be the best article I've ever seen from SJVN, he pretty much nailed every point...
montezuma

Jun 21, 2007
11:34 AM EDT
> Hardly. Donkeys are good honest beasts of burden. A little contankerous perhaps, but very useful in their way and their day.

LOL Dino, you snake in the grass.
dinotrac

Jun 21, 2007
12:09 PM EDT
>you snake in the grass.

There's grass?
number6x

Jun 21, 2007
12:33 PM EDT
He gets most of it right.

If I wanted to be nit-picky I'd have to point out that all that AJAX-ey Web 2.0 stuff is built around browsers supporting the XMLHttpRequest (XHR for short) that was developed by Microsoft.

Quoting:And, funny isn't it, how all the talk about Web 2.0 development seems to focus on AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML) and not on anything out of Microsoft?

So the X in Ajax came out of Microsoft. However MS never did anything fun or interesting with it, like the patented 'yellow fade' technique.

SJVN isn't a developer, so he wouldn't really know that kind of stuff.
jezuch

Jun 21, 2007
3:38 PM EDT
The point about "Desktop Linux [Being] Immature and Perhaps Unnecessary" made me laugh, laugh, LAUGH...
tuxchick

Jun 21, 2007
3:47 PM EDT
dangit dino, I'm getting tired of your subtle, nuanced slams that sneak up on me hours later. I'll have you know my crystals have never even touched plastic. They are made of genuine, 100% crystalline-like stuff.
dinotrac

Jun 21, 2007
4:17 PM EDT
>They are made of genuine, 100% crystalline-like stuff.

So long as they're genuine.
tuxchick

Jun 21, 2007
4:33 PM EDT
They are! Just like my genuine faux string of pearls. Faux is a small South Pacific island known for the extraordinary quality of its pearls.
dinotrac

Jun 21, 2007
7:28 PM EDT
>Faux is a small South Pacific island known for the extraordinary quality of its pearls.

I knew that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!