Scott's requested "Ten Reasons Not to Buy Open Source"

Story: LXer Weekly Roundup for 24-Jun-2007Total Replies: 11
Author Content
hkwint

Jun 27, 2007
5:56 AM EDT
Here's the slide show "Ten Reasons Not to Buy Open Source":

[url=http://www.channelinsider.com/slide/Ten Reasons to Buy Not Buy Open Source/210162_0_13_0_10.aspx]http://www.channelinsider.com/slide/Ten Reasons to Buy Not ...[/url]
hkwint

Jun 27, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
Here's the Microsoft.Net Creates End-to-End Framework That Offers Lower TCO also:

BIG FAT WARNING: PROPRIETARY CLOSED MICROSOFT OFFICE FILE AHEAD

http://download.microsoft.com/documents/customerevidence/769...

Darnit, I must be ill, being that good at finding Microsoft resources ;) OTOH, Google used Linux to find them anyway.

(How on earth do they want Linux users to switch to MS DB because of reading this .doc file which they almost can't read and looks ugly anyway?)
Abe

Jun 27, 2007
6:39 AM EDT
Hkwint, I am at work and using XP with Word 2002 SP3. That document crashed my Word and asked me if I wanted to report it to MS, of course not, it is a catch all stupid error msg. It also tried recovering the document for me couple time and failed. What is new?

tracyanne

Jun 27, 2007
6:18 PM EDT
Opens fine in OpenOffice.org.

I make a practice of never sending crash reports to Microsoft. I figger if they are charging me so much for their shoddy product, they can damn well pay me for the bug reports. And since they won't......
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 27, 2007
9:18 PM EDT
channel link: Very Funny!!

MS link: OpenOffice opens for a second then, bam!, gone, and blank web page too. I downloaded it and tried OOo, it hangs hard then crashes trying to close it.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 27, 2007
10:00 PM EDT
Quoting:That document crashed my Word

Worked fine with AbiWord as well, although the graphics disappeared. OOo displayed it perfectly.
tracyanne

Jun 27, 2007
11:59 PM EDT
I'm using OO.o 2.2.0 on Mandriva Linux 2007.1 I get all the images, layout looks good.
jacog

Jun 28, 2007
2:05 AM EDT
That slide show is confusing...

What exactly is the slant? Most are reasons not to buy Open Source as it says, but the first and the last slide seem to serve only to make Microsoft look dumb.
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2007
3:27 AM EDT
>the first and the last slide seem to serve only to make Microsoft look dumb.

I disagree entirely!

It only seems that way because people know how dumb Microsoft is.
jacog

Jun 28, 2007
4:00 AM EDT
Perhaps you are right.

The slide that reads "Because Microsoft will convince your CEO you're an idiot if you do" is just plain tacky though. Not that MIcrosoft have ever been known for subtelty.

They do seem to have an odd tone of desparation about them these days though. Not sure why... they are still the top vendor in their market.... which is nearly every market.

I used to work with a guy who handled the Microsoft marketing account at our advertising agency... he had a stack of Microsoft promotional freebies. And he liked to use the freebies too. I think the funniest thing he showed us was the pair of Microsoft boxer shorts he had. And he wore them too. He's the only guy I have ever known that wore Microsoft underwear. Is there a reason I just relayed this story? I don't think so, just seemed relevant at the time.
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2007
4:05 AM EDT
>Microsoft boxer shorts he had. And he wore them too.

Uh oh! He should have read the EULA. As with many Microsoft products, failure to take the proper compliance steps can lead to degraded functionality of key parts in the system.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 28, 2007
12:20 PM EDT
My reason for not buying F/OSS is that I use Debian. I don't consider my contributions to be a "purchase".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!