Ohio Linux Fest

Story: Ohio LinuxFest call for papers deadline is nearly here!Total Replies: 24
Author Content
PaulFerris

Jun 27, 2007
7:15 AM EDT
This is year 5! I can't believe this thing is spinning this wildly out of control ;)

Any LXer's going that I should know about?

--Paul
jdixon

Jun 27, 2007
7:25 AM EDT
> Any LXer's going that I should know about?

I'd love to, if only to meet you face to face, but it's extremely unlikely. Too many other trips to budget for this year. :(
dcparris

Jun 27, 2007
10:28 AM EDT
I'm trying to get there. We'll see.
techiem2

Jun 27, 2007
10:58 AM EDT
Man I wish I could go. But with the lack of reliable transportation and possibility of being in or freshly out of the hospital around then... *sigh* Maybe next year... Unless someone wants to drop down to PA and pick me up.... :)
jdixon

Jun 27, 2007
11:45 AM EDT
> Unless someone wants to drop down to PA and pick me up....

Where in PA? Not that it's likely, but...
techiem2

Jun 27, 2007
11:47 AM EDT
DuBois
jdixon

Jun 27, 2007
11:56 AM EDT
> DuBois

Halfway across the state from me, so I'm afraid there's no way; even if I could make the fest, which isn't likely. If you were somewhere near Pittsburgh it'd be another matter. That would still be a ways out of our way, but it might be doable. We'd be coming north on I-79 and taking I-70 west into Ohio.
techiem2

Jun 27, 2007
11:57 AM EDT
Ah well.

:)

Yeah, I'm kinda in an odd place.
jdixon

Jun 27, 2007
12:26 PM EDT
> I'm kinda in an odd place.

You in PA, that goes without saying. :)

Hey, we WV'ans have to get our licks in where we can.
techiem2

Jun 27, 2007
12:40 PM EDT
Quoting:You in PA, that goes without saying. :)

Tell me about it. We moved here a few years ago, and within a few months or sad Dad's figured out how we're related to half the church.

Can't complain too much though. I'll take distant relatives over the traffic chaos and smog of Southern CA any day. Though I do miss the nice warm weather year round.....
PaulFerris

Jun 28, 2007
1:57 AM EDT
I've actually driven past DuBois on my way to St. Marys (When I worked as a CAD consultant in a prior life, we had a customer there). While it was isolated, the scenery was beautiful. Winter driving in that area makes me shudder to this day, however (I had a 97 Black Mustang GT for a company car ;).

Ahh, memories ...

--Paul
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2007
3:49 AM EDT
>I had a 97 Black Mustang GT for a company car

So that's how it started.

Somewhere, out on the road to Columbus:

Officer: So, in a bit of a hurry to say "Hello, Columbus", aren't we?

PF: Do you really think that reference is appropriate? I mean, it's kind of cute to flip out the Goodbye with a Hello, but, cheez -- let's face it -- the book's 50 years old and the movie 40. A little dated, don't you think?

Officer: Book? Movie? I don't know what the heck you're talking about, but I'm having me a field day with speeders. Needed four to make my quota, but looks like I'm gonna catch 22.

PF: So, officer, I was speeding?

Officer: Does a bear defecate in an area of undisturbed old-growth trees? You were going so fast bank robbers making a getaway were calling to complain. What's the hurry?

PF: I can't wait to get to Ohio LinuxFest. It's a...

Officer: You're going to LinuxFest? Well, heck, I can't blame you for being anxious. My whole family's full of Linux users.

PF: Seriously?

Officer: Oh heck yes. Y'know, we have a vital role to play in national security, and using unreliable, insecure, virus-prone, spyware-laden crap is not a good way to do that.

PF: Agreed. So, does this mean you're going to give me a break?

Officer: Heck no. You were flying down that road.

PF: Well, kind of. So?

Officer: Penguins don't fly.
PaulFerris

Jun 28, 2007
5:43 AM EDT
Dino,

I carefully posted the talkbacks here in an attempt, as usual, not to be opinionated or to slander, malign or insult anyone. I scanned the grammar, was polite in my reply, and of course, tried as hard as I could be not to be short, and what do I get? I get a dissertation on on the legal aspects of being a Linux user! Why didn't you bash my views on the GPL whilst you were at your petty attack? Why did you stop short?

You legislative-minded hackers are all alike.

You crouch in the dust of your judicial chambers, nothing but the scent from musty old books (most of them on Cobol, for cryin-out-loud) to guide your way. You thought you'd just saunter onto the ole-LXer web site and slip one past the moderators, malign my stature and get away with it? Well, I'm not going to stand for it. I'm drawing the line here, and protesting your typical canned response to one of my talkbacks.

While I'm on the subject: Can't you think of something new to say? Why does your talkback have such a similar look and feel to prior talkbacks? Where does creativity enter into this picture?

Anyway, the above scene didn't happen -- it's all a fabrication. And the numbers mentioned (22, 40, 50 -- don't think I didn't notice?) Prolly some code to other legal-minded hackers, all set to cut me short with a similar agenda.

So go ahead, post away. See where it gets you! I'm onto you and your kind now. Someday soon we'll all put a stop to your useless postings of meaningless drivel -- until then have your small laughs.

PS: Stop by sometime, the door's always open. Mom and Dad would love to have you guys over and the lake is as pretty as ever. -=FeriCyde=-
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
22 + 40 + 50 = 112 1+1+2 = 4

4 = 2**2 = binary to the binary.

It is the key to the universe -- for those who know how to use it.

Be sure to keep the secret, ok?

PS -

Asked the Mrs and the two littlest Tracs how they feel about lakes and pontoon boats. Got a "Can we, Daddy, can we? Please, can we? The kids were even more excited." Looks like we'll have to make that happen.

PaulFerris

Jun 28, 2007
4:11 PM EDT
Good deal! Pick some good times and I'll see dad on the weekend and get you scheduled :-)
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 28, 2007
6:21 PM EDT
I am going to see if I can make it.

It is far enough out that I know I can get the time off from work, it is the plane fair, a night's lodging and admission that I need to work out.

I figure I can cover the plane fair easy enough but I need to know some particulars about the rest.
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2007
8:42 PM EDT
>know some particulars about the rest.

It's Columbus, as in Ohio State. Show up with beer money and chant "Muck Fichigan" constantly. You'll do fine.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 29, 2007
12:27 AM EDT
LOL!!!
jdixon

Jun 29, 2007
2:38 PM EDT
> It's Columbus, as in Ohio State.

Well, every place has it's faults. I try not to hold that against them. :)
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 29, 2007
2:46 PM EDT
So your saying I shouldn't wear my Maroon and Gold Arizona State T-Shirt Huh?

:-)
jdixon

Jun 29, 2007
2:52 PM EDT
> So your saying I shouldn't wear my Maroon and Gold Arizona State T-Shirt Huh?

Better that than my Gold and Blue WVU stuff. Those aren't popular colors in OSU country, though that has little to do with WVU.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 29, 2007
2:56 PM EDT
You must mean Notre Dame,

Only when I am cold and stiff from rigamortis will I be found wearing anything from that university on my body.

jdixon

Jun 29, 2007
3:15 PM EDT
> You must mean Notre Dame,

OSU only looks down on Notre Dame. It's Michigan for which they reserve their full hatred.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 29, 2007
3:18 PM EDT
Copy everything I said for them too.
dcparris

Jun 29, 2007
4:25 PM EDT
I'll be sure to wear tarheel colors.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!