Red Hat CEO says he talked patents with Micro$oft

Story: Time to get off Red Hat's case?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
henke54

Jul 01, 2007
3:34 AM EDT
Quoting:Thu Jun 28, 2007 Chief Executive Matthew Szulik said his company last year held talks with Microsoft Corp over a patent agreement that broke down before the software giant signed a deal with Red Hat rival Novell Inc The developer of Linux software, has yet to sign such a deal which could see Novell, its biggest rival, woo customers away from Red Hat and work on product development and sales with the world's No.1 software maker.

In an interview with Reuters, Szulik declined to say whether his company is now in negotiations with Microsoft over signing such a patent agreement.

"I can't answer the question," he said.

Officials with Microsoft couldn't be reached for comment.
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN273232232...
dinotrac

Jul 01, 2007
4:06 AM EDT
henke54 -

So...What is your point?

Why wouldn't Red Hat talk to Microsoft?

This is business, not junior high.

What matters is whether they do something bad, not whether they speak to "the bad kid".
henke54

Jul 05, 2007
9:50 AM EDT
>So...What is your point?

@dinotrac : no point .... just observing...that's all... ;-P
henke54

Jul 07, 2007
1:19 AM EDT
>This is business, not junior high.

here is also 'someone' who uses the word "business" -->

Quoting:Linux hasn't grown much at all in the last few years on the desktop. Ubuntu basically canibalized the other Linux distors, not Microsoft. Ubuntu has flatlined the last year. For Linux to grown on the desktop it will need BUSINESS thinking, IMHO.

Kevin
http://forum.freespire.org/showpost.php?p=65738&postcount=3 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=478072

;-P
Sander_Marechal

Jul 07, 2007
7:02 AM EDT
Kevin is a clown. I don't care much for what he thinks.
tuxchick

Jul 07, 2007
4:09 PM EDT
what sander said :)
tracyanne

Jul 07, 2007
5:04 PM EDT
I think Kevin is wrong, Ubuntu may have cannibalised Linspire, but I don't think it's made that much difference to other distros.

I used to recommend and install Linspire, as I thought it was a good newbie distro, but I stopped doing that after I discovered how broken Linspire actually is. I upgraded a Linspire installation, and when I had finished all the accounts had root access, and it was necessary to go through and manually reset the security on the system. I was never all that happy about having root login, and that killed Linspire for me.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 08, 2007
2:33 AM EDT
Quoting:I think Kevin is wrong, Ubuntu may have cannibalised Linspire, but I don't think it's made that much difference to other distros.

I bet that Ubuntu has given Debian a big push. I know of many people (myself included) that started out on Ubuntu and moved to Debian after a while.
dinotrac

Jul 08, 2007
3:42 AM EDT
>I bet that Ubuntu has given Debian a big push. I know of many people (myself included) that started out on Ubuntu and moved to Debian after a while.

Well, what a bite!

After using nothing but SuSE (ok -- one FreeBSD box) for the last 6-7 years, I finally put Ubuntu on a few boxes and now everybody's saying go away?

Sheesh. Debian is not an option for me, as has been recounted in these fora many times. If Ubuntu don't cut it, I guess it's back to SuSE.
jdixon

Jul 08, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
> If Ubuntu don't cut it, I guess it's back to SuSE.

There's always Slackware. :)

Seriously, you might want to take a look at VectorLinux or Zenwalk.
number6x

Jul 11, 2007
5:58 AM EDT
dino,

I would also suggest the new Ubuntu based Mepis, Mint linux (also Ubuntu based), or Dream linux (debian based) along with jdixon's suggestions.

You can think of mint and mepis as 'Ubuntu plus'!

The real appeal to Ubuntu, IMHO, is the supportive community. And with a name like Ubuntu it had better be! Suse has always had a very active mailing list community, and being as old as Red Hat, there are a lot of SuSE Gurus out there. If the MS/Novell deal drags Novell down into the mud, I think you will see an open SuSE community revival.

You will always find a different distro that has something 'better' than your current distro, but if you stick with a distro that has an active community and a friendly on line forum, I think you will be better off in the end.

If Ubuntu has that for you, forget about what I and all the others around here say.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!