getting bored with Linus

Story: One openSource interviews Linus TorvaldsTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 17, 2007
10:04 PM EDT
I stipulate for the official record, as well as my own Permanent Record, that Linus is brilliant and cute and funny, and if he didn't make it as a coder he could been Don Rickles II. I further stipulate that I am not worthy to clean up after his penguins.

So would it kill these alleged reporters to find someone else to talk to? There is nothing new here. It's all been said hundreds of times. Let's hear some new voices. Pleeez. While we're at it, let's ban any mention of Ubuntu, the GPL, and Microsoft. It's a big world- ought to be able to find some fresh material.

Sander_Marechal

Jul 17, 2007
10:55 PM EDT
If you submit it (http://lxer.com/module/newswire/stories/add.php), I will make sure it gets posted :-)
tuxchick

Jul 18, 2007
7:37 AM EDT
hey sander, I wasn't complaining about LXer's story selection. But the big boring world out there that lurvs to recycle endlessly.

Even so, I shall be extra-vigilant for nice chewy non-Linus stories to submit :)
jdixon

Jul 18, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
> Even so, I shall be extra-vigilant for nice chewy non-Linus stories to submit

I'm sure Theo would be happy to provide something if you asked him. :)
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
Hey! I've got an idea...

How about another article from Rob Enderle?
tqk

Jul 18, 2007
10:53 AM EDT
Quoting:So would it kill these alleged reporters to find someone else to talk to?
Probably (I've mentioned elsewhere my views on their so-called profession). If you were tasked with filling your employer's airtime/whitespace, would you want to try shoving some rambling account from some barely socially literate hacker at him, or would you go with the tried and true magic bullet?

Part of Linus' "job" (whether he likes it or not) is PR, and thankfully, he's damned good at it. Compare his efforts to Theo de Raadt's, after all, or RMS for that matter.

Yeah, I'd be interested to read whatever the kernel hacker at Google's got to say too, among many others of those who're actually on the front line getting things done, but I suspect they're far more comfortable hacking than wasting their time defusing kafuffles like "Linus says GPLv3 sucks!" Linus is doing a wonderful job for them, just keeping Information Weak[sic] away from them.

As for whether what he's got to say is old hat or rehashed, when I started in Linux, Linus was still in school. To some of us old farts, he's like a favourite nephew. I've enjoyed watching his and Linux' progress through the years. He's been steady as a rock, appears never to have lost sight of the original dream, and so far appears still to be having a lot of fun with it.

So, yeah, I'd like it if they'd leave him alone and try some other voices once in a while, but I'll still be one of the first to wonder what he's going on about now.

Sorry. Long live Linu[xs]! I hope he's still having as much fun with it when his grandchildren start showing up. :-)
Sander_Marechal

Jul 18, 2007
12:34 PM EDT
Quoting:I hope he's still having as much fun with it when his grandchildren start showing up. :-)

He'll need to grow a beard first. Old hat *nix gurus have beards. Everybody knows that.
tuxchick

Jul 18, 2007
2:02 PM EDT
And long ear and nose hairs.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 18, 2007
2:34 PM EDT
tuxchick: I have some interviews I am working on and not one of them is with Linus, I promise..

How about these?

A V.P. from IBM A CEO of a company that sells Linux A lead developer from a major Open Source Project

and I got more where they come from, but I'm not telling yet.

Scott
tqk

Jul 18, 2007
6:25 PM EDT
Quoting:Old hat *nix gurus have beards.
Naaaaahh. We have ponytails these days. Beards are a pain in the butt.
tuxchick

Jul 18, 2007
8:51 PM EDT
Scott, that sounds great! yaaay, not Linus and not ESR and not RMS and not Enderle. I like it already!
Sander_Marechal

Jul 18, 2007
11:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Naaaaahh. We have ponytails these days.

Yup, got one. But I'm not that old yet.
hkwint

Jul 19, 2007
1:46 PM EDT
Quoting:How about another article from Rob Enderle?

Hey Dino, please remember: It's the Enderle _GROUP_!

Quoting:How about these?

Very good Scott! The coming three weeks are my holiday, and I also wanted to do some interviews. There's a woman here in my country with a company that sells open source and she also knows about marketing - I wanted to interview her, but her company didn't reply and I forgot the name of the company... (Yes, stupid and sad indeed)

If you want to write something about GPLv3, IP and patents, without having anything to do with the boring RMS, ESR, Linus or Ubuntu, you should consult Arnoud Engelfriet. I remember his talk at T-Dose which I found very impressive, in which he told why companies such as Philips and Sony are very happy to use open source in their products (HardDisk recorders from Philips, and more devices), and why they even release (some of their) code under GPL themselves, and why this is a good thing for these companies. This is his site: http://www.iusmentis.com/

Also, there are two calling cards in my wallet, one from Sebastian Krugler which I met at T-Dose, but it seems pointless to do an interview with him (great work, Scott!), and the other from a start-up company which migrates companies from MS Exchange to open source products.

You might wonder why I write this instead of actually doing something. Well, there's a reason for it: I'm rather ill at the moment, but as soon as I feel a bit better, I should start some new stuff, instead of being a cow and ruminating the same decomposed food over and over again (yes, I'm very tired about this stuff too).

As a sort of complaint 'against Linus, Ingo et all', you might also want to interview Con Kolivas, without asking _ANY_ question about kernel code (in general!). That would be a nice statement (for people not knowing what this is about: http://ck.wikia.com/wiki/End_of_ck_patchset )
hkwint

Jul 19, 2007
2:27 PM EDT
Hey Tuxchick, are you bored of Enderle yet? If not, I envision a fancy article counting lies and contradictions in Enderle's article, and my article will be called "Why Rob Enderle and Group are losing momentum" (sure, stole that title from another comment). In my ball of glass I see nice statistics: Average lies and Average contradictions per paragraph.

Quoting:Beards are a pain in the butt.

Well tqk, if that's the place where your beard grows, I can understand it hurts while sitting.
tqk

Jul 19, 2007
5:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Beards are a pain in the butt.
Quoting:Well tqk, if that's the place where your beard grows ...
I just knew someone here would be fool enough to fall for it. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!