Enderle added

Story: The envelope, please . . .Total Replies: 9
Author Content
lcafiero

Jul 26, 2007
3:20 PM EDT
Folks --

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

When I wrote my nominations for the Elmers on my blog, I went to bed thinking I had forgotten someone.

Sure enough, I had forgotten probably the Elmer front-runner himself, Rob Enderle. In fact, his last article about FOSS losing ground was the one that caused me to develop this dubious award.

I'm relatively new to FOSS, but I do know that if FUD were an Olympic event, Enderle would win in both the short- and long-distance events.

Thanks for reminding me, and I'm glad to keep the nominations open.

Larry Cafiero "Larry the Open Source Guy" http://larrytheopensourceguy.wordpress.com

The blog in question: http://larrytheopensourceguy.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/the-en...
dinotrac

Jul 26, 2007
3:31 PM EDT
And now, with a drum roll, let's add Larry Cafiero...

Why?

Well, OK -- He's no Steve Ballmer. Not even a Rob Enderle. Probably even inadvertent.

But...You implied -- intentionally or not -- that you can't already do .Net on Linux. Au contraire, mon ami. You can and it's not bad. Sure, many FOSS folks are reviled by the fact, the the Mono Project has done a pretty decent job.

It's still true that you can't be certain that a .Net app ported from Windows will run without some work, but a .Net app ported from Linux probably will work fine on Windows. In fact, I know one Windows wonk who created a mono solution to a problem specifically because Mono's serial port handling was far superior to the Windows flavored .Net -- a by-product of its Unix heritage.
lcafiero

Jul 26, 2007
5:39 PM EDT
Thanks for the good laugh, dinotrac. If you can prove where I can fall in with the mighty FUD-meisters that I've mentioned before, then I'll gladly accept. However, in the realm of purposely misleading the public, I am not worthy of touching the hems of the garments of any of the nominees I've mentioned.

Nice try, though.
dinotrac

Jul 26, 2007
6:11 PM EDT
>I am not worthy of touching the hems of the garments of any of the nominees I've mentioned.

Just as well. You'd only get your fingers burned.
tuxchick

Jul 26, 2007
6:19 PM EDT
'Just as well. You'd only get your fingers burned.'

Or poopy.

(You're never too old to laugh at poopy)
dinotrac

Jul 26, 2007
7:23 PM EDT
>You're never too old to laugh at poopy

I tip my hat to the master.
jdixon

Jul 27, 2007
5:28 PM EDT
> Sure, many FOSS folks are reviled by the fact, the the Mono Project has done a pretty decent job.

I think you mean repulsed, Dino. Many FOSS folks are reviled, but mostly in certain sections of Redmond. Or you could have meant to say "revile the fact".

Official nitpicker for the day...
dinotrac

Jul 27, 2007
6:56 PM EDT
jdixon -

Yes. What you said.
lcafiero

Jul 29, 2007
10:06 AM EDT
If this still matters to anyone, I have added two more nominees to the list for The Elmers:

Rob Enderle Larry Cafiero (dinotrac -- a nomination is a nomination, and I am a man of my word)

It's here: http://larrytheopensourceguy.wordpress.com/2007/07/29/but-wa...

More nominees are welcome.

Larry Cafiero
dinotrac

Jul 29, 2007
11:02 AM EDT
>a nomination is a nomination, and I am a man of my word

Which puts you miles ahead of anyone else on the list...

Oh no! Does that disqualify you?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!