didn't work

Story: Envy - ATI and NVIDIA drivers installation made easyTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 13, 2007
3:57 PM EDT
I've been trying to get Nvidia drivers working on my Kubuntu Feisty system, with no success. I tried installing them manually with the Nvidia installer, and that works until reboot. Then it gags and emits "kernel module mismatch" error. The installer builds the modules, so I don't understand how that can be. So I tried Envy, with the same results. I am confused and flat, being stuck in 2D land.
azerthoth

Aug 13, 2007
4:40 PM EDT
Oh TC, I'm so sorry. You have caught a case of Ubuntu ... is there anything we can do for you until you get better? A nice dessert maybe? Something like ... hmm, oh, Sabayon.

Get Well Soon ~Az
tuxchick

Aug 13, 2007
6:05 PM EDT
I would twap you azerthoth, if I were not stuck in 2D land and completely without depth. All I can do is flail and scowl.
azerthoth

Aug 13, 2007
6:12 PM EDT
Just so you notice that it wasn't I that said you had no depth.

*grin*
jdixon

Aug 13, 2007
6:53 PM EDT
TC:

The Ubuntu forums point to the following:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual

Note the section about removing conflicting software. That sounds like it might be your problem.
tuxchick

Aug 13, 2007
8:55 PM EDT
Hey, that helped. I did have a boatload of conflicting stuff. This is the page that finally got it all sorted out: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_nvidia_feisty

First I removed everything, then followed method 1. And now I have my OpenGL screensavers. Life is good again.
dinotrac

Aug 14, 2007
1:41 AM EDT
Hmmm. A conflicted woman. Whp'd a thunk?

Glad to see you've gained some depth, TC.

Surprised to see you Ubuntucizing, but then, I was surprised to see me Ubuntucizing.

It doesn't seem so bad and cultish when you're actually using the stuff instead of looking from the outside in.

No, not cultish at all.

Kill the Debianites (except for those who package the stuff)!!! All hail Ubuntu. Rename the Debianites who package the stuff!!! All hail Ubuntu.

Push those goofy Scientology types, at least those who are not also Ubuntites, into the sea!! All hail Ubuntu.

Rename the earth to Ubuntu Planet!!! All hail Ubuntu.

Nope, Carlabuntu, you'll enjoy it and wish you had never made any of those silly "cult of Ubuntu" comments.

Or else.

Sander_Marechal

Aug 14, 2007
1:50 AM EDT
Quoting:Kill the Debianites (except for those who package the stuff)!!! All hail Ubuntu.

But, but, but... I'm a Debianite and I don't package stuff. Poor ol' me :'-(
dinotrac

Aug 14, 2007
1:54 AM EDT
>But, but, but... I'm a Debianite and I don't package stuff. Poor ol' me :'-(

Don't worry, you still have time to repent. There is an Ubuntu just for you!!

But hurry.

All hail Ubuntu.
jdixon

Aug 14, 2007
5:08 AM EDT
> Hey, that helped.

Glad to be of assistance, even if it was only a starting point.
tuxchick

Aug 14, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
I use Kubuntu because I pretty much have to, just to keep up with Ubunut Cult. I'd druther stick with Real Debian. *buntu is akin to Fedora, in that they keep stuffing it full of Weird New Stuff and use packages so new they're still in diapers. So it gets messy. But mostly it works.
jacog

Aug 14, 2007
7:57 AM EDT
Mint is ever-so-slightly more stylish though. Pity their Kubuntu variant is somewhat behind still. Hope to see a release this week though.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!