Ugh

Story: Microsoft and Xandros Expand CollaborationTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
techiem2

Aug 15, 2007
8:14 PM EDT
Quoting:For Microsoft, the agreement is the latest in a series of efforts to encourage the development of interoperable solutions between Microsoft software and open source software.

Shouldn't that read: "For Microsoft, the agreement is the latest in a series of efforts to encourage lockin of their proprietary protocols using linux companies as pawns to be discarded later when they are no longer useful."
tuxchick

Aug 15, 2007
8:37 PM EDT
That new kidney of yours is pretty darn smart!
techiem2

Aug 15, 2007
8:41 PM EDT
:) Maybe getting my body all cleaned out has kicked my brain back into gear...
tracyanne

Aug 16, 2007
12:12 AM EDT
There's an article in Linux User and Developer http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_detai... that you should read. Unfortunately it's not available on line, LU&D don't allow access to the feature articles, on line, until after 3 months. The article is titled "Switching to Open Document".

If anyone can get a copy of the Article it's well worth a read, but you are definitely on the right track here. What Microsoft seem to be doing, and why they won't use ODF, and the reason for these agreements is to channel Linux users into depending on MS Exchange and MS Sharepoint as thise is where they see their major income comming from, the lock in that these products on the server side will anable for them, combined with their version of "Open" XML douments.
jacog

Aug 16, 2007
1:56 AM EDT
Allow me to take a drag from the same stuff that RMS smokes and say:

Microsoft probably has an entire division that studies open source stuff very closely, just so they can engineer their own standards such that it "interoperates" less well. Like their hardware; I'm willing to bet that as time goes by, Microsoft keyboards, mice, gamepads, etc. will work less and less well on anything but Windows. Same goes for the way they already keep changing their networking protocols. You think you are downloading a security patch, but what you really are downloading is another "keep those nasty open sourcers away" patch. They keep "improving" their media formats too.

"interoperate" - Fairly high on my list of buzzwords that I dislike... and I have a severe dislike for most buzzwords. Buzzwords tend to be single words that when spoken automatically conjure up volumes of associated hype and to those not immune will simultanously destroy any common sense and critical thinking. (that sentence is severely in need of punctuation)

Insert primal scream here.
number6x

Aug 16, 2007
4:55 AM EDT
techiem2,

congratulations on the new kidney! You've got three of 'em now so you should be good for a few more decades.

I was approved as a donor for a friend of my wife's last summer, but I was the #2 choice. They went with his sister instead of me. I am a little younger than her, but she will probably pose less of a rejection risk.

I was kind of dissapointed I couldn't help out. (And, in all honesty, a little relieved. Any surgery is a little frightening.)

I'm glad there are others out there willing to lend a hand, and an organ to those in need. I'm glad you found one!
Bob_Robertson

Aug 16, 2007
6:24 AM EDT
(insert argument for an open market in organs here)
techiem2

Aug 16, 2007
7:12 AM EDT
Thanks!

Actually it's 4 now. I had my first transplant in 1993 from my mom. :)
dinotrac

Aug 16, 2007
7:18 AM EDT
>Actually it's 4 now.

So don't go for 5, OK?

Hope this one lasts as long as you need it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!