Happy Birthday!

Story: Debian turns 14 today!Total Replies: 8
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 16, 2007
4:45 PM EDT
I've been using Debian for 12 of those 14 years. It has been fascinating to watch as the processes have evolved.

What's most interesting, maybe, is how much they haven't changed. "dselect", the tool for package management that I first used, still works today exactly as it did then. I remember scrolling through page after page of packages, selecting ones that looked interesting (or that I recognized from having used SunOS, like xv) and having their dependencies automatically taken care of but only after I say it's ok.

This is not a bad thing, it demonstrates that some designs work from their inception.

Needless to say that the installation has gotten better over time, that the number and variety of available packages has expanded (from ~400 to more than 21k), but then so has the user base.

I've installed Debian on three different hardware architectures, including through a console cable on a headless SPARC-2, and it just works.

I'm just a user, I never pretended to be anything more. I file the occasional bugreport, I get on the occasional Debian Developer's nerves with "stupid questions", but such is life.

My thanks to the Debian developers that make it all possible.

tuxchick

Aug 16, 2007
6:07 PM EDT
What you said! Happy Birthday, Debian, may you have many more!
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 17, 2007
3:20 PM EDT
I declare my uabashed love for Debian. It's treated me better than just about anything else I've used.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 17, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
Don't let dino hear you. He'll drive you into the sea, he will!
dinotrac

Aug 17, 2007
6:37 PM EDT
>Don't let dino hear you. He'll drive you into the sea, he will!

Goodness no. I don't care who runs Debian, so long as I don't have to.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 17, 2007
6:45 PM EDT
Well, you never have to worry about me trying to coerce you to do anything.

Anything at all. :^)
dinotrac

Aug 18, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
>Well, you never have to worry about me trying to coerce you to do anything.

And I appreciate that. Now if only my wife would follow your lead... ;0)
Bob_Robertson

Aug 18, 2007
4:43 PM EDT
> Now if only my wife would follow your lead...

Didn't you read your marriage contract? It's in there, and you signed it: "Obey!"

_Voluntary_ servitude isn't unconstitutional. :^)

tqk

Aug 19, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
Quoting:Happy Birthday, Debian, may you have many more!
And a better behaved teenager, there never was.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!