am I the only one baffled by this story?

Story: Ubuntu getting Xorg.conf GUITotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Alcibiades

Aug 19, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
How long has it been since gnone and kde both had resizing tools...? Or have I been dreaming, or is Ubuntu now doing something quite different from what I'm thinking of.

Probably just not understanding. Hope so anyway.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 19, 2007
2:06 PM EDT
Looking at the screenshots in the article, this tool lets you do a lot more than merely changing resolution.
tracyanne

Aug 20, 2007
1:18 PM EDT
Gee Ubuntu now has a tool that's been available to me in Mandriva, and which is also available in PCLOS, for ages. My God I think I'll have to start using Ubuntu.
tuxchick

Aug 20, 2007
1:27 PM EDT
*buntu reinvents a lot of things. Yes, Gnome and KDE have long had graphical X configuration programs. Dunno why they don't just improve the existing utilities. I have wished for one that is not tied to Gnome or KDE, but is universal.
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
12:54 AM EDT
There needs to be a whole DE independent set of configuration tools. I'm thinking something along the lines of Webmin but with a more polished interface and more average-user level config modules. It should feel less like a web page and more like a desktop app.
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
4:15 AM EDT
Er, ok... so moments after posting the above I started coding away at the front end and module format of the abovementioned configuration thingymabob... but then I have to think up a name for it... I decided on "Figger" at first, but then after a quick search online (resisting the urge here to use "Google" as a verb), I found that it's actually a commonly used derogatory term... so uhm... any other ideas?
Sander_Marechal

Aug 21, 2007
5:24 AM EDT
Dconf (for desktop configuration) perhaps?
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
5:41 AM EDT
Very to the point, but not quirky enough and I believe there's already someting called that as part of Gnome.
jdixon

Aug 21, 2007
5:45 AM EDT
Hmm, thingymabob, abovementioned, configuration tool...

Thimble.
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
Hmmmm... "Thimble"; very Hans Christian Andersen... ok, for the moment I shall call it that. I'll build the front end, templating model, the modules' basic data format and an example of one or two basic configurators ... perhaps one for eth and one other... then put the project up somewhere and see if anyone'd be interested in working on it further.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 21, 2007
6:38 AM EDT
Care to tell us what technology you're using? Is it browser-based, carrying it's own tiny HTTP server? If you want DE independence but still offer a native app instead of a website, you could build on Mozilla's XUL engine. That thing runs everywhere.
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
8:09 AM EDT
Well it'd have to be along the lines of SWAT. Browser based but not requiring any web server or scripting language installed. I am just doing the front end though using xsl and xml with an aim to make it quick to develop new configuration modules. There are bound to be dependency issues though. A hardware info thing might need tools like lspci etc installed in order to work. Well, the idea is less than 5 hours old, so things can still swing in any direction. Might turn into something, might dead end.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!